Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wmcdonnell Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
    I want to measure
    We would like to have new windows but I would like to know what size and how many I need. Where should I measure to get the right heighth and width. Is it all right to buy windows from Lowe's or Home Depot? The Sash & Storm guy said that their windows are second rate, why is this? I would like to buy the windows and have somebody install them is the plan.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 02:51 PM
    1. For general pricing, all you need is the width and height of the window itself. You'll be more precise when actually ordering.
    2. The Sash & Storm guy is full of baloney. Lowe's and Home Depot carry basically the same windows (type, style, specs, etc.) that Sash & Storm does.

Check out this buyers guide:
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.../-1/HOWTOGUIDE

Aug 29, 2006, 03:13 PM
    E have wood windows so to get a measurement, from where to where do I measure?when I go to Lowe's, I can say I need a price on this size window
    Thanks for your help!
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 29, 2006, 05:38 PM
    That depends (I believe) on whether you want inserts, or completely new windows. An insert will sit inside the wooden window frame. You'll be able to re-use the old trim from around the windows. The other option is to put in a larger window, replacing the existing wood frame at the same time. You would take different measurements for each one.

Aug 29, 2006, 06:39 PM
    We want replacement windows, the same size but aluminum.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 07:13 PM
    For a price I would just measure from the outside of the frame. Height and width. Don't inlcude the architrave.

This will suffuce for a price.

Once you order the windows the manufacturer should come and measure them!

For pricing they will also need to know whether they are awning windows, sash, sliding etc.

The best idea is to draw each window seperatelt showing dimensions and also mullions etc. simply draw what you see and demonstrate how the window opens.
    That should be fine for pricing. But as I said once you place and order they will have to come and measure themselves!
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Why aluminum. The trend is to replace aluminum windows with vinyl windows.

If its replacement, consider multiple panes and sound proof glass if your on a noisy street. Multiple panes also if they are on the North side of the house.

I have had no problems with Home Depot windows or doors. The best part about these dealers is that they will walk you through the installation (which is why I would not recommend them if I wanted to charge you for the installation)!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Any way to measure electricity usage by circuit [ 13 Answers ]

My electric bill has been really high! Sometimes reaching over $600 for a 2400 sq ft house. I thought it was the cost of electricity and my family constantly using the central air conditioner. However last month due to some remodeling my central air system has been disconnected and my bill only...

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

Measure 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I live in Oregon and I was just wondering if somebody could please send me a link or something on all of measure 11. I already know what is on there but if someone could please send me something that has all of it on there, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

View more questions Search