Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoagy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Duplicate name
    At startup a notice tells me I have duplicate names on my PC.Only my name is in server accounts so how do I find the 2nd one to delete,cheers
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 13, 2009, 04:50 PM

Not enough info this dose however sound like you could have two computers named the same. If that is the case you can rename one of the computers. Not knowing what OS you run all I will say is that the steps are different but similar for Mac, Windows and Linux.
    If it is a duplicate user one of the two can be disabled or deleted again the OS you are running will determine how to do this. Please enter the text of the error message and the OS you are running. Odds are you are running some flavor of Windows but anymore there are more and more of us running Mac OS 10 or some flavor of Linux.
    Virtual Yoda Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Snap: Will go for windows Vista first.

Do:

right click on My computer / Properties Down the bottom computer name =: Change settings, Call the computer something different / reboot,

Xp:

Right click my computer / properties
    click Computer Name tab on top
    then click change : Change the name to something different
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 16, 2009, 07:32 AM

Did you clone your computer with Ghost or some other cloning software?

Are you using DNS Alias names for shares on your network? If you do, you will have to edit the registry on your server to Disable Strict Name Checking in the LANMan Services.
    RevBarker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Yoda View Post
    Snap: Will go for windows Vista first.

Do:

right click on My computer / Properties Down the bottom computer name =: Change settings, Call the computer something different / reboot,

Xp:

Right click my computer / properties
    click Computer Name tab on top
    then click change : Change the name to something different

This is the correct answer=)
    Virtual Yoda Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 11:38 AM

Glad I could help! =]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Duplicate screen in background [ 5 Answers ]

I do not know much about computers. I have Windows Vista. I have a duplicate magnified screen identical to the one I am using but in the background. I don't know what I did to get and I do not know how to get rid of it. Can you help me. Thanks.

Winamp and duplicate files [ 5 Answers ]

I have no clue how things work with my computer, but I have downloaded Winamp thinking that it is relatively straight forward to download all my music to Winamp. I was sadly mistaken. Now that I have downloaded all my music, it has duplicated and in some cases, triplicated some of my songs. ...

Can't duplicate hyperlink [ 3 Answers ]

In the past, if I copied a browser address into a Works document, the address would underline in blue and was clickable to open that browser address from within the Works document. For some reason, that is no longer valid. I can't think of any changes I've made to Firefox to alter this action. How...

Duplicate IP [ 1 Answers ]

Daer all Good morning , I'm very pleasure to join your forum , I have problem with My router which is connected to RADIUS server , more than one can connect with Specific username , hence they will take same IP , I want any command in CISCO ...

View more questions Search