Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davekjh1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
    95 civic with no fire to plugs
    Help. I have a 95 civic that died the other day and since then I can not get any fire to the plugs. Also the check engine light does not come on at all. I have replaced the ICM,MAP, and now the ECM. I have tested everything in the distributor and it all test good. I tested the Ignition switch and it failed but I am reluctant to spend any more money without knowing for sure. Does anyone know if the ignition switch will allow the engine to turn over fine but not fire. Help txgreasemonkey! Help a texan out.
    hulk1371 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2009, 04:32 PM
    I'm not a big civic guy but I would definatally guess that it is the ignition switch. My sugestion would be to use a test light to find out if you are getting any power to the ignition box when the switch is on if not I would replace the ignition switch
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 04:54 PM

Long live the Republic of Texas!

. Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds and then cut off, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II)? If it does, the MIL bulb has likely burned out.

. Check all underdash and underhood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be very thorough! Otherwise, you will waste a lot of time and money. It sounds like it could easily be a fuse problem.

. Clean main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. Look for a 3-wire brass connector.

. Check ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting, if the problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

. Install a new coil.

Mar 12, 2009, 05:37 PM
    The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds and cuts off. I checked the ground and the bulb is good. Is it even possible that the ignition switch would let the car turn over but prevent it from getting fire. That does not sound right to me. But I checked the switch several times and with my wife holding the key in the III position there is continuity from terminal 2 to 3 but not 2 to 5 or 3 to 5. So according to the haynes manual it is faulty.I have not pulled it off to do a visual inspection. Also I have checked every fuse I can find. Even the ones that do not apply. I may pull the ignition switch tonight but it is getting dark and raining so I might not get to it.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 05:45 PM

It sounds more and more like a bad ignition switch. It's not difficult to visually inspect them. Still, I would replace the coil, if you have 120,000 miles or 10 years on it. Bench testing coils is not reliable. Did you apply silicone heat-transfer compound to the back of the new ICM?

Mar 12, 2009, 06:00 PM

Even though I know better I did not use grease because it did not come with any, I was being lazy. I will get some on there tomarrow morning. Would you recommend finding a coil in a yard or should I just buy a new one?
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 07:23 PM

Only install new ICMs and coils:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

These are problematic components on Hondas, with a limited life. ICMs won't last long without heat-transfer compound.

The TEC coil from RockAuto.com is OEM, for a fraction of the price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 civic will not fire at all [ 1 Answers ]

95 civic that has no spark. What tells the distributor to fire, and where does get it's signal from? Just put in new distributor, among everything else except the main relay, and it will be here tues. I can't take much more. HELP

Changing spark plugs on 93 civic ex [ 1 Answers ]

Ehhh yeah I did something stupid... I pulled out all the spark plugs at once to replace it with nkg plugs but now I don't know which one goes where... I heard if I don't put them in currently the car wouldn't start like it would be miss firing or something like that... Can someone please tell...

93 nissan pathfinder not getting any fire to plugs [ 1 Answers ]

We have checked the timing belt, the timing itself, the coil, the ptu, the fuses and the fuel pump and they are all fine, still no fire to the spark plugs can any one help diagnose this problem. Thanks amguy

99 Civic with wrong spark plugs? [ 1 Answers ]

My Civic LX engine D16Y7 has 65K miles so it is time to replace the spark plugs. I looked up in the owner's manual and the NGK replacement part is ZFR5F-11. I bought the iridium ones ZFR5FIX-11. When I removed the old ones, to my surprise they were ZFR6F-11. Note that this car has only been...

94 civic no fire! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 94 civic ex coupe and it has no fire and won't start I replaced the coil with a msd blaster ss coil but still has same distributor and don't know how to test it, the wires are still original to haven't replaced them yet . Just if any one had any suggestions an can the main relay do it to?

View more questions Search