Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Craigslist posting: Is this seller legit?
    For all you smart buyers out there...

On Monday I went on Craiglist and looked up Acuras for sale in my area. I came across one and it's for a 2004 Acura TL for $4,500 (WOW, what a deal!) So I contacted the seller and asked how many miles does it have on it? This is what he replied:

"Thanks for contacting me...I will give you more details about the car. I was always careful with this car and I did all the inspections at time.The car has a clean title, it doesn't have any scratches, dents, it never been involved in an accident or in a flood. I run with it only 47,344 miles so the car it's like new. I recently moved here in Sherwood, North Dakota to finish my studies. I also thought how to ship it home to you. My brother works at the Das Door company. He has one free shipping every year, so he will help me with this. Like that we don't have to pay anything for the shipping. I am selling this car so cheap (only $4500 because I really need money as soon as possible to pay my college fees. If you are a serious buyer please contact me. Thank you very much."

Now after reading his email, I got thinking: How can someone sell a 2004 Acura with only 47,000 miles on it for $4,500 without it being damaged or something wrong with it? It sounds too good to be true. So I contacted him again asking if he could send me the link to the pictures of the car because I couldn't find the posting on Craigslist; it seemed to have disappeared. This is the email I received from him this morning:

"I see that you are still interested. My opinion is to use ebay protection program because i want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legit but you must know that in this way eBay will require you to send a ($4500) prior shipping and they will have to verify me and the car and you as well before we can close this deal through their service. Your money will be kept by eBay agent until you will receive the car and send them the confirmation that you are satisfied with the product received. In case you don't want to keep the car all you will have to do is to ask them for a refund and you will be totally refunded in 2 days. Don't forget that for the shipping i paid all taxes. P.S. You must know that if you decide to buy the car i will need your full name and shipping address as soon as possible in order to send your details to the shipping company and to ebay agent to make the arrangements for shipping. Thank you.

if u wanna see more pics visit this link....
    http://picasaweb.google.com/t10kevincarson/2004ACURATL#slideshow"

He even put the link to the car pictures...

Now I want to know, because I DO NOT want to be taken advantage of, is this seller legit? I emailed him this morning asking for a VIN and registration number so that I may trace the car and find out if this is real. What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:54 AM

Check these two references to confirm what the car should be worth:

N.A.D.A. Home Page
    New Car, Used Car, Car Reviews, Blue Book Prices & Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

If the car seems to be worth far more than the guy is asking then the old addage should be considered: If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:56 AM

Hi RickJ,

I did check on Kelly Blue Book and the car is worth WAY more then what he's asking. He claims that he's selling it cheap because he needs money fast for college.

It would be a real bummer if I found out this guy was a spammer.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 12, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Use a trusted Escrow service of YOUR choice.
    Least that way you still have control of the situation.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 09:00 AM

Hi CurlyBen,

I'm sorry but what do you mean by that statement? "Use a trusted Escrow service of YOUR choice."
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 12, 2009, 09:06 AM
    This should help: https://www.escrow.com/support/faq/i...sp?sid=1&qid=1
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 06:47 AM

I have an update on this story...

The seller gave me the VIN on the car. Does this mean that this seller is real and not a spammer? Can random people have access to VIN numbers and use them as their own?
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 13, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE View Post
    I have an update on this story...

The seller gave me the VIN number on the car. Does this mean that this seller is real and not a spammer? Can random people have access to VIN numbers and use them as their own?
    I can walk through any parking lot, write down vin numbers and take pictures. As a repo-man, I did it often. They are visible through the windshield.

I suggest you follow Curlyben's advice.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 07:06 AM

Hi vwdieseljunkie,

I didn't know that.
    The seller seems to keep pushing that I need to go through the 'ebay protection program' and that I need to give eBay my money.

I have a feeling that this seller is not legit. If a person wante to sell me their car, they would
    1.) give me their registration number, no prolbem, 2.) call me or give me their number so we can discuss the car and 3.) wouldn't push that I need to get the money right over to eBay.

Mar 13, 2009, 07:17 AM

I understand the situation you are in. You have found a car that you want, at an unbelievably low price, you don't want to pass it up if it's legit, but $4500 is a big loss if it's a scam.

Look into the Escrow service, then approach the seller with it. If the seller turns it down, and it were me, I'd have to pass on the car. I know it sucks, but $4500 is still at least a nice down payment on a legit car.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 07:31 AM

I would say, don't send/give any money to the purchaser until you get the car looked at, or look at it by yourself.

I've heard of people sending money and never hearing from the seller again.

Craigslist is awesome - most of my living room furniture came from it - but it is also a potential scam.

Hope it IS real! Awesome deal!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Here is my situation: As of now, I don't have the money. I would have to apply for a loan. If I knew that the seller was legit from the start, then I would've applied for a loan already.

Can someone please explain to me in elementary words what an Escrow is?

Mar 13, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE View Post
    Can someone please explain to me in elementary words what an Escrow is?
    The link that Curlyben provided pretty much explains it step by step. But simply put, it's bringing in a third party to control the transaction. It protects both the buyer and the seller. You could also discuss this with your lending institution, they may already have the same or similar process in place, or have a preferred provider for escrow services.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 13, 2009, 07:49 AM

In a way he has already asked you to use the escrow method by suggesting that you hold the transaction through eBay. He has something to lose here as well if you didn't handle the transaction on the up and up as well. This is the definition I found for internet escrow...

"As with traditional Escrow, Internet escrow works by placing money in the control of an independent and licensed third party in order to protect both buyer and seller in a transaction. When both parties verify the transaction has been completed per terms set, the monies are released. If at any point there is a dispute between the parties in the transaction, the process moves along to dispute resolution. The outcome of the dispute resolution process will decide what happens to money in escrow. With the growth of both business and individual commerce on the web traditional escrow companies have been supplanted by new technologies. Escrow.com provides escrow services to online buyers and sellers since Dec. 1999. [2] Another entry in this area is Safefunds.com. This site combines transaction negotiation, escrow, and dispute resolution in a single package, with all activity using an electronic signature system for verification."

I would also recommend that you follow your first mind. If something is telling you that this isn't legit. Move on. He appears to be wanting to make a deal fast and with the loan process you may not be able to act as fast as he would like. The car looks really nice however, Best of luck with your decision.

Mar 13, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Another way to think about it, I'll kind of break it down.

You want to buy his car. You give the money to escrow, escrow will tell him they have the money. He will give you the car, you will tell escrow you have (and accept) the car, escrow will pay him the money you gave them.

If you don't get the car (or don't accept) then the transaction is off, he gets the car back, you get the money back. It prevents him from taking the money and not giving you the car, and prevents you from getting the car without giving him the money.

Now there's going to be escrow fees involved, but they will be minor compared to the potential loss if it's a scam, or everything's not on the level.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:15 AM

Thanks everyone!

We'll see how this one plays out.

Hopefully it's real?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:15 AM

Hello beautiful:

I would never, NEVER, EVER buy a car unseen.

excon

PS> If you misunderstood my post, let me say it again. DON'T BUY IT!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:42 AM

Hi excon,

You're right.

The seller did say that I will be able to test the car for 2 days and all the while, eBay will be holding my money. After those 2 days are up and I am satisfied, then I'll get the car and he gets the money. If I'm not satisfied then the car is sent back and we go our merry ways.

If I know that my money is protected and NOT in the hands of the seller, then I will do it.

I'm still working on getting the registration number from him.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 13, 2009, 08:57 AM

Post back and tell us what you decide to do. I am really curious.
    LingerLonger Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

Seriously?. why would you even consider doing this? It has scam written allover it.

Why not just shop around your area or at least consider Craigslistings that you can actually see in person?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't send email on craigslist [ 1 Answers ]

I try to e mail on craigslist and my computer won't let me it keeps saying that I don't have 'stmp' or something like that... how do I fix it to where I can e mail on craigslist?

Sites like craigslist? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any websites similar to CraigsList? I am looking for local classifieds to find for "free" stuff and or purchase and sell items. I really like Craigslist, but often find the item I want gone. ... I know I got to be more quick. Sigh...

Craigslist sales [ 7 Answers ]

I have no idea if this is the right topic to post under but I'm wondering if there is any reason it would be dangerous to give your address when making sales online. I've sold a lot of items on Craigslist and now I'm selling an item and someone responded wanting me ship an item to the US once I...

View more questions Search