Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcdizzed Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Windows xp pro- blue screen of death
    Hello, had to join after I asked a friend on this issue. ( And I thought XP was immune from this.)

It say's:

On Blue Screen;
    Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The Registry cannot Load the Hive File:\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software
    Or it's log or alternative.
    It is corrupted,absent,or not writable.

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory..

I have tried to boot with its OEM and will not respond.
    Keyboard will not respond to Arrow Keys to select Safe Mode.

All I have is the laptop networked to post here, but it's my main PC to do my studies that has the problem.

Can anyone advise what to do next ?
    It has done this once before, for the first time last week after using a new spyware cleaner !

No problems before.

I would apreciate some advise please.

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 12:58 AM
    A blue screen shouldn't have anything to do with your keyboard not working before Windows even boots. Let's see if we can get that working so that you can get into Safe Mode.

Do you know if that keyboard worked on boot up before? Also is it plugged in via USB or a PS/2 connection (USB is a rectangle connection, PS/2 is a circle)?

Also, when you try to boot from the Windows CD you mentioned - what happens?

Aug 29, 2006, 01:06 AM
    OK, got the keyboard to work.
    Can use OEM to boot from, but when I tried recovery options, I did not have many.
    1 I don't have a recovery disk
    2 some how I was in C:\Windows after it asked me to enter Admin. Password.
    So that works, from there onwards I have no idea ,but it showed many options.

It will boot as far as the Windows Logo and the blue sliding thing, moue pointer will show, windows is starting will show,

Well, for some reason beyond logic, it has started up again.
    But, I will not touch it till get a message back to advise what I should look for and try to fix.
    I can follow basic instructions,
    Thanks

Was able to send error report, if there is a file for this, let me know where to find it and see what it says.
    But I remember the words, "critical system failure",
    If this is of any sifnificance.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...fce99c&SID=708

Hmm,
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 02:08 AM
    Sadly it seems you have the dreaded Registry corruption. I have recovered a few PCs by following the instructions on page 2 on the following link:
    http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...on.html?page=1

It's tedious and you may have to reinstall some software but your system will boot up normally afterwards.

Aug 29, 2006, 04:28 AM
    Thanks,
    I got to C:\Windows after it asked for Admin. Password.
    But when I did the example 2, it does not recognise the folders.
    So it seems by backup registry is gone to?

But as I type and reboot it over and over again, it just got back up.
    So, while I have it back up, what can I do from this point to access registry and make the required changes ?
    Also, the last successful bootup it downloaded all the latest updates.
    It was after the updates it required a re-boot, blue screen again.

Sent error report and this time it seems to:
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...a156759&SID=10

Would it not then have detected missing registry issues and fixed it accordingly during it's update ?

Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 04:36 AM
    If it booted up normally then it would have fixed the Registry issues during boot up not during the Updates. But you got blues screened again and it points to a device driver. If you can get it to boot up again, even in Safe Mode, I would go into Device Manager to see if anything was amiss (yellow exclamation or red question mark) then uninstall the offending device.

If you do have it back up now you can also try (after checking Device Manager) a good Registry cleaner like Ccleaner.

Aug 29, 2006, 05:49 AM
    Thanks,
    I have Ccleaner.
    mwgone Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 04:38 AM

Long Dead Thread.. :-(

But I'm unable to accomplish the copy of the file... \software to the... tmp\software.bak in the repair console.

It says file not found...

How can I accomplish the procedure with out this?

Dell 1505 dell diagnostics found 3 bad read blocks on the HDD but it passes the 'non invasive' and qucik tests just fine...

HELP!

-Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 98 resizing screen and colors [ 1 Answers ]

I recently reinstalled windows 98 and wasn't able to resize my screen area or colors. I have only 2 or 16 colors available and extra large windows and graphics, in poor quality. This happened before and the Microsoft solution had to do something with creating an alternate configuration (naming it...

ATIdrab.dll 'Blue-Screen' [ 3 Answers ]

From time to time I get this 'Blue-Screen' error which points to this DLL associated with my laptop's (DELL Latitude CPx w/Pentium 3 processor and 320 MB RAM) video system. I've tried BOTH ATI's and DELL's websites, to no avail. ATI refers me to DELL and DELL insists that I find some cryptic...

Please help... Blue screen of death! [ 7 Answers ]

Yes, I have had the blue screen of death for a few months now. I have tried numerous stupid things but they don't seem to work It hadn't happened for a few weeks until today, it happened again. I have the error reports for it if that helps. Is there anyting I can do?

Blue screen of death [ 4 Answers ]

got a friend with this problem any ideas to resolve it ERROR 0x00000024 NTFS.SYS and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK... :)

View more questions Search