Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Any tips for painting interior doors with semi gloss?
    I have been painting my interior trim and doors with semi gloss paint. I really like the look of the high gloss white for trim, but it was such a pain in the arse to use. It gets so tacky so fast! I was hoping that the semi gloss would be better... but no luck. It's really not that big a problem when painting trim, but it's really annoying painting my six-panel hollow core doors.

Do you guys have any tips for painting doors with semi gloss?
    homedoctor Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 05:51 PM

Which paint product are you using? What does it say about dry-time?
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 11, 2009, 06:10 PM
    I'm using Valspar and the drying time says it dries to the touch in 30-60 minutes, recoat in 2-4 hours.

Am I possibly not putting enough pain on the brush? I dip the bristles halfway into the paint and then wipe one side against the can. But the tackiness kills me. For example, when I paint a six panel door I start at the top and work my way from left to right... following the grains. I then go back to the left side and I begin another pass. The paint brush will go over parts previously painted to make sure I cover everything... and that's when things start gumming up... or getting tacky. However I'm supposed to describe it, the paint no longer looks smooth. It looks like I tried to smear partially dried caulk. Am I making any sense?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 07:47 PM

Completely makes sense. Cut down, "thin" the paint a little bit. If you really want to make time on this stop Scraping the paint off the brush. Get a cut can ( 1 gal)fill it up to when in brush is covered half way when bristles hit bottom on can. Dip in can and bang side of can twice a slap tap. This impregnates. The paint and really loads up the brush with paint but won't drip. This will double your speed which in turn covers more and quicker and the Sticky goes away. Painting a Long time. Do your panels first then the rails not the whole door width. The paint stays wetter for each panel as if it's a separate job. The tap tap is how us professionals do it to make time and Never have to look at the brushto dip in can. Once you feel the bottom of the can your there and gaged right then pull up tap tap fairly hard on inside of can and go baby go. This will load up twice as much paint on brush The tap Tap can be heard from another room. I can tell how fast a job is joing by our taps on can. Hand speed.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 01:18 PM

That or add Floetrol to the paint. It will "flash" better is you know your paint terms. Floetrol® Latex Paint Additive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

Painting with high gloss [ 7 Answers ]

How do I paint high gloss without streaks? Only with brushes? 1/4 inch nap rollers? Or one of the poly-foam items? I want to paint behind my stove and counters because they get so greasy. It is a small area like all - from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets. I've never tried high gloss...

Bathroom Ceiling Flat vs. Semi-gloss [ 2 Answers ]

This is for a bathroom without a bathtub or shower (no condensation). Should I use a flat paint for the ceiling or a semi-gloss?

Painting doors and shutters [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. My HOA has asked me to paint, or replace my front door. There's really nothing wrong with the door, or jambs, so I'm not interested in buying a new one. The door is steel, with a faux woodgrain finish (no... it wasn't my choice - probably one of the "HOA approved" doors when the house...

View more questions Search