Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5hoots Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Bank account levy
    We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago.

What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to? Is it a percentage or the whole deposit each month?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
    NOOOO! Apparently the creditor got a judgement against you. Getting a judgement is only half the battle. The next step is collecting on the judgement. The creditor has to find your assets and file a garnishment against them. That's what has happened with the bank account. If the amount in the accout doesn't satisfy the debt, then have to find other assets. This could mean other bank accounts or your husband's salary.

If you want to pay off this debt, then contact the creditor and offer to set up a payment schedule. Just leave the bank account alone.

Aug 28, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Thanks for your reply. The account does not have near enough to pay off this debt.

Is there normally a percentage that they garnish from the paycheck or take from an account? Or do they take it all?

Another option I guess would be bankruptsy. We don't have the best credit anyway, would this be an option to get rid of this or not?

Aug 28, 2006, 12:41 PM
    The limits on salary garnishment vary from state to state.

Bankruptcy might be an option, but you would be better off consulting an attorney on that.

Aug 28, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Would a bankruptcy take care of this levy/garnishment?

Aug 28, 2006, 01:10 PM
    A bankruptcy can be used to discharge unpaid debts. Once the debts are discharged there would be no reason to garnish. However, any amounts already colected would be gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank account seized.. Debt almost gone. [ 13 Answers ]

The company handling my account is Rubin&Rothman for Ford Motor Credit. I voluntarily surrendered a vehicle to the dealership as instructed by FMC about six years ago. I owed $6,000 after the vehicle was re-sold. Unable to pay the $300/month they were demanding, they froze my bank account. I...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

View more questions Search