Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trinopoty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
    How to read file?
    I need to read a file that contains two files in it. Its sort of like an ISO file. I need to extract the files. Please help me with the full code. I have a Open file dialog box: dlgopen. And a button to show the open file dialog: cmdOpen. Its Visual Basic 2008.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 06:18 PM

I'd need more information than that. If it's "sort of like an ISO file", then you'd need to know the *exact* binary format of the file in order to extract the files. You'll need to know exactly how they're stored. Is there some sort of header indicating where the files are. Are they compressed? Are they just a stream of bytes of the original file? How do you know how many bytes to read and write?

In VB.NET, you'll probably need a BinaryReader and a BinaryWriter objects.
    trinopoty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I'd need more information than that. If it's "sort of like an ISO file", then you'd need to know the *exact* binary format of the file in order to extract the files. You'll need to know exactly how they're stored. Is there some sort of header indicating where the files are. Are they compressed? Are they just a stream of bytes of the original file? How do you know how many bytes to read and write?

In VB.NET, you'll probably need a BinaryReader and a BinaryWriter objects.
    I will also compress the file using VB (VB 2008). And they are not compressed. Uncompressed like an ISO File.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Media Program will read an ISO file straight from a PC [ 7 Answers ]

What I really need is a Media Player that will play a .ISO file (A DVD Movie) straight from my PC. I am going to IRAQ and want to take some movies with me over there. Vice taking the Hard DVD's. Anyone have any idea?

Vista xlsl file won't read on xp [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to send an email to a friend containing a file that I created on Microsoft excel 2007,:( but when the other person receives the file they cannot open it :confused:. Is there a format on the save as menu that will let them open it in xp. :confused:

Read the content of .img file [ 0 Answers ]

How do I read and change the contents of .img file in text format.. Pl help.. I am a poor programmer

How to read .reg file in text format [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I learnt that .ref file is nothing but a text document. Is there a way to programatically read the content in .reg file (line by line) and retrieve information. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Unable to read file header message when attempting to open jpeg attachments [ 7 Answers ]

I have been unable to open jpeg files that are attached to email for several days! I have tried both Thunderird and Outlook Express and have disabled the block on attachments. No luck! The problem seemed to start when I attempted to load WinFax Pro and had an incomplete installation then when...

View more questions Search