Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pehubby's Avatar
    pehubby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 28, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent
    How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Aug 28, 2006, 05:26 AM
    I suggest you do some research on the concept of tough love. Then hire a U-Haul (or a mover) and move his stuff into a storage facility. Change the locks and write him a letter explaining why you have taken the steps you have.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Aug 29, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Contact the county sheriff's office and inquire how to proceed with eviction proceedings and have a notice of eviction served to your son/daughter. The standard is usually 30 days notice so you may have to continue tolerating your son/daughter's presence for that time.
    LUNAGODDESS's Avatar
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40
    Full Member

    Aug 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
    How about... I love so much... but you got to go..
    I know this may not be an humorous situation... but join the club of babies that refuse to grow up because it is better at home...
    He made your child feel safe and secure... there are challenges that some children are not ready to handle until you give him a dead line... after the dead line... go get your house rezone from single parent dwelling... to multi-family dwelling... this will be a tax advantage for you and the city or town... take your time with this effort... see if it really fits you... let him hear you on the phone making the arrangements with the county courts... as the deadline comes near let him notice the response from the county about your request... you cannot evict someone for failure in paying rent in a single family dwelling in most states... but you can if the dwelling is zoned for multi-family dwelling... now remember to keep reminding your child... that a job is necessary to rent an apartment... no job... no place to rest your head for free... this is tough love... once the county has approved your request... ( you may have to get boned and insured while applying for multi-family dwelling )... give your child a certain amount of days to move... with an official document stating that a eviction coming and with enforcement from the county if he failed to obey such a judgement... yes you will have to go to court... after all this is small claims court... ( the county may ask you to pay for the services of the officers to deliver the subpoenas) the cost should not secede $200.00 U.S. dollars... all this effort to remove a child from your home... yes... just as much of an attention was given to rise him to adulthood will require the same as a adult... do not forget tell him you really love him and he can come by on Sunday for Sunday dinner...
    harleyhead's Avatar
    harleyhead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 24, 2006, 10:12 AM
    I need the same kind of help. I am a single mom. My daughter is 21 and makes
    Almost as much as I do. I have another 2 sons (1 at home) and have always helped these children (when they came home drunk, when they had a smashed car, when they needed money) and I am getting nothing but crap in return.
    I told my kids that they would help pay expenses if they were not full time students and had a job. My daughter was a full time student but got a full time job making good money and neglected to sign up for any classes (after I helped to get her a scholarship at work -I had to return the scholarship money) and now refuses to pay expenses.

    She is beligerent and comes home at all hours of the morning (the other night she came home at 4:30 am) She is smoking pot but has not brought it into the house that I know of and she swears to my face, slams the door, and has punched holes in doors.

    She also refuses to leave.

    Help! I have not a lot of money to get her out or get her to act like a human and I am going nuts.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Sep 24, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyhead
    i need the same kind of help. I am a single mom. My daughter is 21 and makes
    almost as much as I do.
    Did you read the answers to the other poster? Not much to add to that.
    The WB's Avatar
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member

    Oct 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
    I was one of those who didn't want to leave. Get a small nearby storage and one day, while they are out, move all of their stuff to the storage. Keep the bed in the room. Leave a note and one of the keys to the storage. The note should say that the bed will be gone in a certain amount of time and any of their belongings found around the house will be moved to the storage and if they don't pay the storage bill their property will be lost or on the street. That should lite a small fire under them.
    randall707's Avatar
    randall707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
    [QUOTE=pehubby]How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away? Just answer this question... Thank You Mark
    ballyb's Avatar
    ballyb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pehubby
    How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?
    Smash his face in and tell him to grow up or her ha ha joking just see a solicitor and get a warrant
    seanmikel's Avatar
    seanmikel Posts: 7, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Get a CTW (Criminal Trespass Warning) issued to him/her and then whenever he/she comes to that address, call the pd and he/she will get thrown in jail for trespassing... it's a very common thing for apt complexes, hotels, bars... etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult child in Tennessee [ 23 Answers ]

My son in 20 years old. He came home from college after getting kicked out for a GPA of under 1.0. He asked to come home for "3 weeks". This was May 4, 2006. The only room I had was my garage. I didn't want to make things too comfortable for him. He stays out half of the night drinking and...

Evicting an adult family member [ 6 Answers ]

Tried to help a family member who was down to get back on his feet by giving him a room in my house for almost a year. Now he does not want to leave and makes threat. Gets violent at times. How do I go about getting him out? Your help is greatly appreciated. Babe3530

Adult child paternity rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have any right to determine who my father is? I am 32 years old, and have been trying tactfully to contact the man who is said to be my father. I want nothing more from him than the truth... is he my father? If he is, all I am looking for is family tree information and...

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

Adult Child evicted from home? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient. Thanks.

View more questions Search