Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alfy1013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 11:24 PM
    Toilet Flange
    I'm remodeling my bathroom. I've removed the old toilet and dug up the old flooring and subflooring. Together they were about 7/8" in thickness. Since I will now have a lower floor, what do I do to put in a new toilet flange? The old one was brass and only 1/4" thick and simply had the drain pipe(probably iron) bended over the flange and then the wax ring. Do I set up the new one just like the old one was and if so, how do I lower everything since my floor won't be as high. It is a 4" drain. All I have is floor boards to screw the flange to.. is that going to support it enough? I was also wondering if the toilet flange needed to attach at all to the drain pipe?

Thanks for the assistance!

Alfy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Hi Alfy,

Go easy on this one. I'll tell you why. You have a older house with a lead closet bend. You don't "bend" iron over a brass flange, you flare lead over it.
    You're lucky! Ya got a old timey plumber that remembers lead closet bends and closet bolts that screw into the floor.
    Make a mistake on this and you're looking at replacing the closet bent all the wayback to cast iron pipe.
    The first thing is to VERY GENTLY lift and straighten out the lead flare. Now remove the brass ring lower the floor and reinstall the brass ring. Now ,again, VERY GENTLY work the flare back over the ring and purchase a new wax seal and two screw type closet bolts. Set the toilet back over the flared closet ben, screw in and tighten the closet bolts, test and you're back in business. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What toilet flange to use? [ 9 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in an old house. The floors are concrete, and right now there is just what looks to be a cast-iron waste line that runs up through the concrete for the toilet. The inside opening of the pipe is 3 1/2" in diameter. What flange do you recommend for this? I can only find 3"...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realized as I was installing the subfloor in my new bathroom that I had cut off the pvc to short. It is slightly lower that the subfloor. Is there a longer flange which will solve this problem or should I remove the floor add a coupling and more pvc to raise the height? Thanks, m2

Toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm putting a new floor in the bathroom. The tolet flange is higher by 1/4 in on one side and 1/2 in on the other above the floor I'm going to put ceramic tile down. Do I need to level it out or bring the floor up around the flange? Thanks Tim

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing tile in bathroom so the toilet flange is now about approx. 1/2" below the tile. Do I have to remove the toilet flange or are there extensions?

Toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of re-settin my toilet, It is located in the basement and the toilet flange sits on top of the ceramic tile. It is not flush with the tile. I have reset the toilet three times using various thickness of wax. These only last so long. I have purchased a wax free bowl gasket...

View more questions Search