Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb627 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Condenser problems!
    I purchased a used condenser unit from a reputable hvac dealer/installer last year, but only this year got a chance to install. Everything as far as I know was hooked up correctly, but when the thermostat is turned to a/c the contactor engages but absolutely nothing from the condenser. The blower runs inside but not even an attempt for the compressor starting up. I also checked for current after the contactor, and this is where I get confused, when the contactor is NOT engaged there is power at both terminals on both sides of the contactor! It's probably very simple but I'm too frustrated to figure it out. It's 220V by the way.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Does the outdoor fan run or even attempt to run??

Aug 27, 2006, 08:56 PM
    No, neither the compressor or the fan.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
    That sounds like you are not getting 24 volts to you outdoor unit

Aug 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
    It is getting 24 volt that kicks in the contactor but because it's already got current at all 4 terminals before the contactor is engaged is what's throwing me for a loop.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
    What are you using to check the voltage, is it a read out meter or is it a light. You need something that will give you a read out.
    One other thing for you to check it the capacitor, is it a dual capacitor, meaning does the fan and the compressor operate off the same capacitor? If it is a dual one check the capicator, look at the top and bottom, see if there are any bulges at all. If it is misshapen at all it is possible that it is the problem.
    Check your wiring and make sure that you have the incoming power on one side of the contactor and the compressor connected to the other side of the contactor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan not running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 25 year old Carrier (Model 28GS) A/C. It has been working fine until today. The condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't turn on, but I do hear the hum of the compressor. I believe the fan should be running all the time. I'm assuming the compressor is operating OK, even though it's not that...

Condenser Shuts Off [ 1 Answers ]

Looking through the threads, I haven't found anything quite like what I'm experiencing. So if there's already a post out there on this topic, I apologize. I have a dual zone heat pump system, and both units are approximately 14 years old. On a normal summer day (70s to 80s) my air works fine. ...

Fan in outside condenser not working [ 0 Answers ]

I live in a 20 year old condo in New England. I have central air. I turned on the air for the 1st time this season. I can hear the condenser outside my building running or at least there is noise coming from it. However, the fan in the condenser is not working nor am I getting any cold air into the...

Condenser Fan Not Working [ 2 Answers ]

Central A/C system turns on using thermostat however, no air blows out of vents. Inspected condenser fan and noticed it was not running. While unit was on, I turned fan by hand and it started to rotate on its own. After an hour of normal operation, the condenser fan stopped again. Could this mean...

Outside condenser fan not working [ 2 Answers ]

Outside unit condenser fan not running. Compressor seems working OK. I followed some advice to have run capacitor replaced but still the same. I also found there is a small noise inside the unit even we don't run that air conditioner. There is no sign we have a burned wire and fan motor likes...

View more questions Search