Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie72477 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
    HIPAA Violation
    I went into the Hospital for a minor procedure. After being admitted a "volunteer" walked me to the surgery waiting area. While walking she looked at my paper work to see what procedures I was having done then stated "Oh your having a mass removed from your breast" then continued to tell me how she had breast cancer and I was young and would be fine. I stated it was a elective procedure I wanted the bump removed she told me not to worry I would be fine and it would not be cancerous. I feel it was a severe violation of my privacy she was not even medical personal she was a volunteer.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 12:28 PM

What was the woman "volunteering" for? Why did she walk you to the surgery waiting area? Who gave her your medical file? Are you positive she wasn't just an intern or resident doctor?

Mar 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
    She was a little old women wearing a vest that said Deconess Hospital volunteer. After being admitted they had these people their to walk us to the surgery waiting area. I have no idea why they could not say down the hall to the left! She walked me to the waiting area and told me to have a seat. She was not even a employee of the hospital and she was looking at my medical information.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 12:57 PM

Who gave her your file?

Mar 10, 2009, 01:19 PM

The admitting clerk gave her my file and asked her to show me the surgery waiting area.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 01:27 PM

I have volunteered in hospitals and have never been allowed access to a patient's chart. If you feel this was inappropriate, then report it to the Hospital Administrator.

What State (just out of curiousity)?
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 01:27 PM

Have you contacted the hospital about this?

Mar 10, 2009, 01:33 PM

I actually just got off the phone with them and they said they would educate the volunteers better and she should have never looked at my record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angie72477 View Post
    I actually just got off the phone with them and they said they would educate the volunteers better and she should have never looked at my record.

So you got a good result - good. Hopefully the volunteer will understand and never do this again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law violation [ 2 Answers ]

This has to do with a divorce case: wife and husband had to complete drug tests in regards to child custody and parenting time. Wife tested negative and husband tested positive. Wife proceeded to email drug test results of husband to business belonging to Husband's father... including his...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

If a supervisor notes that an individual is on maternity leave on their timesheet, is that a HIPAA violation?

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

My (former) dentist overcharged my credit card for a crown. The VISA department of my bank sent the dentist a 'chargeback inquiry' to determine if my claim was valid. In response, the dentist faxed my bank a "Family History Listing" which in addition to my payment history (which seems...

Is this a HIPAA violation [ 8 Answers ]

A friends 24 year old daughter Lola is undergoing chemo treatment for cancer and is parilyezed from the waist down because of complications of West Nile. Lola has been hospitalized quit a lot for the treatments since she was 16. A RN that works nights felt sorry for her because no one came to visit...

Hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

If someone repeates a rumor they heard about someone's medical condition, is this a hipaa violation? And can the person repeating that rumor be sued for slander?

View more questions Search