Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChurchLady911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Are Taxes taxable?
    I am the church finance secretary. The church gave our Pastor gifts and/or trips this past year. They were added to his W-2 which created quite a large tax liability for him. Our church has approved to pay him a check through payroll in the amount of his tax liability. He does understand this will be considered income, yet again on his 2009 W-2, but his question is should taxes be withheld from this tax reimbursement check or should it be for the full amount of the liability? I say take out the taxes because IRS will consider this more income to him. He says we've already paid the tax on this. Need a little advice on how to handle this correctly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 02:38 PM

If the amount is income to him, it will be taxable.

Now I would ask about the "trips" since many are often busienss related and would they have not be deductable from income as a business expense.
    ChurchLady911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 05:33 AM
    The trips were personal vacations paid by the church. The conference trips were not added to his W-2 as this was business.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 07:10 AM

If you are trying make it so that the Pastor is "made whole" after taxes, what you want to do is gross-up his payment so that after taxes his net is the amount you want him to have left over. The way you do this is as follows:

1. Assume a marginal tax rate for the Pastor. In general I suggest that you assume his federal tax rate is 25%. If you live in a state with income tax add that rate to this 25%. So for example if state income tax is 5%, then his total tax rate is 30%.

2. Determine the amount you want the Pastor to have after taxes. Let's assume for discussion that this amount is $1000.

3. Multiply this amount by 1/(1-tax rate). So in this example you get $1000/(1-.3) = 1000/.7 = $1428.

4. You pay the Pastor $1,428, withholding taxes as normal.

Since you have already paid him the $1000, to make him whole you would need to pay him a second payment of $428.

To follow up on what Fr_Chick said -- if you are reimbusing the Pastor for out-of-poicket expenses in support of church business, then he should submit an expense report and you reimburse him accordingly - reimbursed expenses are NOT income and are NOT included in his W2. However, if you are making an extra payment to him for personal travel, then it is taxable, will be included in his W2, and you use the process described above to gross up his pay.

On a side note - you may want to consult with your auditor to verify that the process is correct and properly documented.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perdiem, travel and other expenses/taxable non taxable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here I will explain my situation and help me under stand about taxable non taxable items. 1. I am on H1B from a company based in Teaxas. But I do not live in Texas. My wife works in Michigan and I live in Michigan along with my wife. 2. My temporary company assignment is in Atlanta,...

Taxable and non taxable pay [ 1 Answers ]

I just started work for a new Oil & Gas Pipeline Company in Texas. While working at a previous similar company our welders were paid hourly, then they receive a daily per diem, rig pay (for use of their welding rig by the hour), tool pay (for the use of their welding tools by the hour). We also...

SSI and Disability taxable if you pay property taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 51 year old grandma on ssi and disability. My 25 year old daughter is also on ssi and disability and just had a child in September. I pay property taxes on my trailer of 350 dollars per year... is there any way to claim this grandson or the property taxes... and get anything back?? ...

Am I taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

Frieds, I have a company in India. Its an Export Oriented Company registred with SEZ. I have 100% exemption now. It's a partnership company. Is the income I got from an EOU taxable?

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

View more questions Search