Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joannebhomeowne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Leaking Roof Valley on Cedar Roof
    My first floor ceiling is leaking where the garage and house come together forming a valley. The home is 8 years old. The roof is cedar and has been repaired and sealed in the fall. The valley between the garage roof and the wall of the house has been repaired last year by a professional installing expansive flashing. The roof is still leaking. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed. The home is still under warranty. Should this be covered?
    All help is appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Joannebhomeowner:confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    repaired last year by a professional ////// The home is still under warranty
    Call the roofer back out to check out the situation. In all fairness his work could have been done properly and the leak is form a closer source. Ceder split shake can be a bit tricky to find leaks. Or he missed something on re flash valley I would start with a house on the roof and start low and very slowly work your way up the roof until a leak appears. This helps to get a general Idea of the area/location of the leak. Go from there.

I would read my warranty and see what it says about the roof warranty. If its under warranty then pursue that also.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 09:16 PM

If it is possible to get in attic and see rafters, start at lowest point of valley rafter and check for water stain. The area to look at would be were rafter meets sheathing. As u work your way to ridge, widen your search area to left and right of valley rafter. If u find water stain, leak will be located higher than that on roof.
    Then follow what boat21 said using a hose. Allow water to run in one location for about 5 minutes before moving higher up roof. This will give water time to get in for u to see.

Let us know how u make out

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Metal Roof over existing shingle roof ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hurricane Andrew & Gustav has convinced me to put a metal roof. I'm too old to keep patching shingles. I'm undecided : on using treated 1 x 4 lats directly over shingles (parallel to ridge), screwed to rafters and metal screwed to lats or

Preserving cedar roof shakes [ 4 Answers ]

I have purchased a small house in Seattle area that has a detached studio building with a cedar shake roof. I just cleaned and pressure washed the roof. It looks new now and I'd like to keep it that way. How do I seal/preserve the shakes so I don't have to do this very often? Thanks!

Roof Flashing Valley to Peak [ 1 Answers ]

When I am using W shaped valley flashing and my two valleys meet at the peak of the roof, how do I flash the top so as not to get a leak there?

Metal Roof Valley Flashing [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to reroof over shingles with metal on a house that has 4 valleys. What is the best way to Flash the valleys and end the metal panels at the valleys. How far should the flashing extend under the panels? Should I use modified roofing under the metal in the valleys. How should I attach the...

View more questions Search