Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbarlamas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Ip address release problem
    Have a small network of aprox 850 computers. Mixed novel and Server 2003. Have one computer with error message, duplicate ip address. Tried ipconfig release and renew, that did not work. Unplugged the network connection and did release and renew again, still did not release the ip address. Put in a static ip address, connected to network OK. Took the static address out and let dhcp do its job again, and it came back to the same ip address. IT won't let it go?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dbarlamas
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 26, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Chances are someone assigned a machine a static IP that is conflicting with the DHCP scope. The DHCP server keeps assigning the same IP because it thinks it is still a valid lease. The PC doesn't dictate its own IP from the DHCP server. He can only ask for his previous IP *IF* it is still available from the DHCP server. So the fact that you have an IP conflict tells me that someone stole that same DHCP assigned IP.

Here's how you can find that machine:

1. First shut down the PC that's having a problem
    2. Go to a new PC on the same IP subnet and issue "arp -a"
    3. look for the MAC address corresponding to that IP address that's in question
    4 Go to your network switch and look at the switch database to see which port that MAC address is coming from.
    5. You can now trace back to the culprit machine that stole the IP
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
    If the switches in the network are Cisco, you can do a mac trace. I think the commands are (for CAT/OS switches, like Catalyst) (substitute the mac address you got from the error message for the zeros)(don't type the # sign)
    # show cam dynamic 00:00:00:00:00:00

This should get you a port. Show the port using show port (or show interface?)

If the port goes to a PC, that's it, you've found it.
    If the port goes to another switch, do this (substitute the port for the zeros:)

# show cdp neighbor 0/0
    Then log into the switch and do the # show cam dynamic... again.

You can do the same thing on am IOS based switch but the commands are slightly different.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Nov 29, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Slight correction to tpeters's post... if it is a Cisco switch running CatOS then leave out the "dynamic" keyword. i.e.

SWITCH-A> (enable) sh cam 00:00:00:00:00:00

If it is a Cisco switch running IOS then the command is:

ROUTER-A#sh mac-address-table address 00:00:00:00:00:00

The rest of the info is OK
    Joey Wiggins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 03:51 PM
    I had the same problem with one of my computers. It turns out, it was a bad network adapter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas cap release [ 3 Answers ]

The gas cap release lever on my 2003 Honda Accord has stopped working. Periodically it will not release but does eventually release. This time it will not release and I am about out of gas! Does anyone know what is wrong or how to get the latch to release?

Problem with my address bar [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm quite new to the internet and I seem to have a problem with my address bar. Whenever click to scroll down it has "My Documents" and "My pictures" and so on. I have no idea how to rectify this and I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search