Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PALehrman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 06:55 AM
    If I live in GA but work for a NYC company, do I pay NYC taxes?
    My home address is GA so will my income tax reflect payments to NY State or City for this employment?

Peter
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 15, 2009, 07:37 AM

The taxes should be withheld for the place the work is performed, especially since New York taxes are more than Georgia taxes.

The rules of New York say that if all the work is performed in New York than taxes should be held out for and paid to New York.

Georgia may or may not give you a credit for taxes paid to NY.

If you work partially in New York and partially in another state and New York taxes are withheld NY will give you a credit for taxes paid to the other state.

The correct way would be to withhold and remit to the state the work is performed, but since New York taxes are higher if you work in two states than you could withhold NY taxes and be okay at the end of the year.

I might add if you work in Georgia for a New York company and all work is done in Georgia than you would withhold Georgia taxes because that is where the work is performed.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Live & work in NY but work for same employer elsewhere.taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NY and am employed in NY but am sent to work in other states when needed. Am I required to file taxes for every state they send me to work in, or just NY?

Live/Work in NY paid out of NJ company withholdings [ 1 Answers ]

I live and work in Albany NY. The company I work for is incorporated in New Jersey. They had been withholding NYS SUI and DBL for me until this year. Now they say since they are a NJ company they must withhold NJ SUI and DBL and not NYS. Question (1) Is this true and if so what happens to my NYS...

Live in MA, work in CT - taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I live in MA and maybe taking up a job in CT. What are the tax repercussions? Thanks!

I work in NJ but live in NY, how much taxes will I pay? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently work in NJ, but I live in NY... Will I have to pay both state taxez and if so how much? I am married with no children and I make 27,000. I'm also having trouble filling out my W4 form (or is it W2? ). Should I choose "married, but withhold higher rate..." or should I just choose...

View more questions Search