Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmorin1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Check engine soon light
    The check engine light soon light keeps coming on on my 97 plymouth voyageur.last time it did it, it was a stuck pollution valve, ( it had an evap code ) so they unstuck it, it is now back on why does it do this?
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Mar 6, 2009, 06:08 AM
    The first thing for you to do is take vehicle to automotive parts store where they offer to read the OBD computer fault codes for FREE (they may also suggest what item(s) caused the fault code). If the vehicle is otherwise running normally, it may be minor problem, or in some instances just a false alarm.
    If Check Engine light is on and it was not on for several days of driving after they fixed the stuck evap (emissions) valve, then the On Board Diagnostic (OBD) computer has detected possibly another item not functioning properly. It can be one or several items giving a fault code (the OBD monitors many items); It may even be the same stuck valve; it may need replacing if so.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorin1 View Post
    the check engine light soon light keeps coming on on my 97 plymouth voyageur.last time it did it, it was a stuck pollution valve, ( it had an evap code ) so they unstuck it, it is now back on why does it do this?
    If the code was for the "pollution valve(?)", but you unstuck it, the problem is likely not the valve, but rather the passages that lead to that valve are clogged (if I'm correct and you are refferng to the EGR valve?). Maybe you should replace that valve.
    And cleaning the passages is a major bit of fun. And shouldn't be attempted by a DIYer. You can create more problems than you fixed. Especially on an older vehilce such as yours.

But, before you freak out, the problem could also be the "pollution valve" control.
    Which valve are you calling the "pollution" valve?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 09:48 AM

Have a scan done; post the codes here. We can't point you in the right direction if we don't know where to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

Engine check light [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 honda civic, the check engin ligth came on serveral months ago then it went away. I would normally get 520km on a full tank , but just prior to the light coming on I got 800km on a full tank. I'm now getting 1000km on a full tank.. the engin check ligth is still on (over 9 weeks now)....

Check Engine Light [ 1 Answers ]

This afternoon the engine light in my 2002, 6 cylinder Chrysler Sebring lit up. The car to me felt like it was about to stall but did not. The oil, transmission and radiator fluid levels are all normal. Has anyone on the site had a similar experience? Is it wise to drive it to the shop or tow it...

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Engine Check Light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 96 Dodge Neon. Engine Check light came on. I had someone from Autozone check it using some sort of scan tool. Code said it is Cylinder #1 misfire. After the scan test. Engine Check Light came off. Does it mean it is fixed or it was reset? What could cause it to Cylnder #1...

View more questions Search