Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skater97 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Ringing in ear
    My son experienced a ringing in his ear and later flu-like symptoms, to include vertigo-like symptons (diziness)... we have been to several doctors and are being told there is nothing that can be done about the ringing noise in his ears... has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 08:41 PM

I've had ringing in my ears for 40 years. I don't know what caused the flu-like symptoms, but it's possible that it precipitated the ringing.

Rarely, something "mechanical" in the ear causes ringing or clicking. However, most of the time, it's from nerve damage (loud noises). Also, certain diseases like measles can damage the nerves.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 09:11 PM

Below is a link I think you will find helpful.
    Home Page | American Tinnitus Association
    Godsend Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 11:37 AM

Hi There,

Tinnitus is definitely a nerve problem.

Many conventional medications achieve only limited success in tinnitus relief (hence the reluctance on your docs part), and usually their bothersome side effects such as dry mouth, blurred vision, and constipation often discourage use.

Valium, Xanax and Klonopin are benzodiazepine drugs that many doctors prescribe for tinnitus. They are addicting to varying degrees and cannot be used continuously for a long period. They are helpful in reducing tinnitus symptoms and aid in sleeping. Valium is the most addicting of these and is not used often for this reason. Xanax is very popular and is prescribed often for tinnitus. However, the ATA report on medications that cause tinnitus lists Xanax as causing it in 6.6% of cases.

Natural and holistic tinnitus remedies can be effective in assisting with the relief of symptoms, as well as addressing the individual’s overall health and well-being.

Herbal and homeopathic remedies are gentle, yet effective - without the harmful side effects of conventional medicine. Tinnitus herbal remedies can be used to support all body systems involved in helping the ear to perform its tasks of clear hearing and balance, as well as the circulatory, cardiovascular, and nervous systems.

Some of the most common herbal remedies used are
    Ginkgo Biloba is excellent for a number of cerebral and circulatory disorders. It is probably the most widely-used herb for tinnitus and many sufferers swear by this natural ingredient.
    Rosemary dilates and strengthens blood vessels and is an excellent circulation tonic. Rosemary is particularly useful for tinnitus that is caused or worsened by high blood pressure and other circulatory conditions.
    Avena Sativa is effective in reducing high cholesterol levels which can contribute to circulatory problems which cause tinnitus.
    Wild Hyssop s also useful in reducing pain and inflammation.
    Salicylic Ac. is indicated for tinnitus with loud roaring or ringing sounds, which may be accompanied by deafness or vertigo. This remedy is particularly useful in people whose symptoms began with a about of flu, Meniere’s disease or long-term use of aspirin.

Hope all this helps

Good Luck!

You may get more information on tinnitus and other recommendations on this link www.healthherbsandnutrition.com/remedies/t/tinnitus.htm

About the above mentioned herbal remedies , you can get more information here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ringing in ear [ 9 Answers ]

I had a real bad cold & afterwards I've had a constant ringing in my right ear. :(

Ringing in Ear [ 2 Answers ]

I went to a concert for my University last night and ended up close by the speaker for the most of it, it mainly in the direction of my left ear. I'm 20 by the way, It was pretty loud, and for some performances I plugged that ear just to get rid of the sound. Now, when I got home, I knew that my...

High pitch ringing [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Kenmore HE3 washer has a high pitch ringing sound that is coming from the mother board on the front of the washer. It makes this sound even when not running. Any ideas?

Ringing ears [ 11 Answers ]

I have had intermittent ringing in both my ears for a few months. Sometimes constantly, sometimes very suddenly, even sometimes the ringing seems to pulsate. I'd heard these symptons can be from high blood pressure, and even though I monitored my pulse while the ringing was pulsating, the two...

View more questions Search