Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pueppi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Sailing Permit/L1 Visa/ Pay Taxes?
    Hallo,
    I work in the US on a L1-Visa (I'm from Germany) since two years and most likely will leave the US end of this year. I get my salary paid by my German employer and get all benefits from Germany, absolut nothing from the US. I do pay taxes in Germany. Do I also have to pay taxes in the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Yes. Income earned in the United States on a L-1 visa is generally subject to U.S. taxes, unless specifically addressed and exempted in the U.S.-Germany Tax Treaty.

It is likely that you will get a credit on your German tax return for taxes you pay to the U.S. If not, then you can claim a credit for German taxes paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1A visa and Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Our head company is located in Sweeden and we are bringing someone over on a L1A Visa. What taxes is this person subject to, Federal, state local, but are they also subject to Social Security and Medicare? Need this ASAP, Thanks

Sailing permit for leaving alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am a GC holder, but my company is sending me overseas for about one year. As a GC holder, I informed my company of the repercussions it could have on my immigration status. Thus, they paid for the services of an immigration lawyer. He advised to apply for a reentry permit ( form...

H1 VISA and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I was told, I can deduct (itemized) all the expences related to stay (like apartment rent, food etc... ) since I am on H1-B visa. I have been working for the same employer in the same location for the past 5 years. I have allways done standard deduction. Is this true in anyway? Thanks

L1 visa taxes question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in IL for the past year (from 1-Dec 05 ) on an L1 visa. I don't need to pay taxes in the US since I get an allowance here ( I file my taxes in india) But my company has given me some bonus money that does not fall into my tax exemption. So I need to declare that amount....

H1B visa and taxes query [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have been reading numerous posts regarding the dual status nature of one's tax return. I have been in the US since Aug 2000 and my F-1 visa expired in June 2005. I was working on my opt since July 2005(till oct) and got my H1-B visa on Oct 2005. As per what I have read so far, I...

View more questions Search