Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearced24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Cooper Pipe Valve Stuck
    I have a cooper pipe valve that's stuck, it's one that runs of off a main water line and goes to the ice maker on the fridge, it hab been closed for about 4 years and when I tried to open it the knob stripped and just spun so I couldn't open the valve, is there anything I can do to get the valve open.

Thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 11:49 AM

Use small channel locks. Grab the stem, where handle used to be, and slowly turn it. It should go relatively easily...
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Use small channel locks. Grab the stem, where handle used to be, and slowly turn it. It should go relatively easily....
    Milo is right it should turn with a little effort.If the channel locks strip you can use vise grips.The valve stems are brass and at times are very soft.

After you get it open you may need to tighten the packing nut that is over the stem as they can leak with opening and closing the valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck middle valve - 3 handle shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Help and suggestions!! The middle handle, used to divert water from the tub spout to shower head is stuck in the 'tub' position. I have removed the handle and trim bezel and tried to turn the shaft with pliers - no luck & quit before marring the splines on the brass shaft. What now??

Stuck valve [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water side of my glacier bay valve, 2GB0512041281, (outside shower) is not working. Any suggestions on correcting the problem. The valve is less than 2 years old and is used sparingly. >Moved from Forum Help<

Bending 1/2 " cooper pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a novice do-it -yourselfer. I'm trying to replace a new shower but the new valve I purchased does not line up with the old cooper piping supply lines. It is 1/2" cooper and is off about 3/4" on either side of the fixture. Can Cooper piping be bent slighting and if so how? Thank you.

Compression fitting on soft cooper pipe [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to install a 3/4" valve with compression fitting on soft cooper tubing 3/4" as well? Will it fit? Will it hold? Tank you

View more questions Search