Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happyness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 04:47 AM
    How can I keep my house from smelling like dog
    Hi help me with this I'm trying to keep my house from smellimg like dog is it OK to let your dog have freedom to roam the house an what can I use to keep my house from smelling like dog an her to is there an shampoo I can use for so she won't smell like dog
    Thanks for any answer you may have for me.:)
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Feb 28, 2009, 02:08 PM

You can buy deodorising dog shampoo which I have found to be very effective but make sure you rinse it off very thoroughly. If your dog seems very itchy after her bath, don't use it again as it may have irritated her skin. Do not bath a dog too often as this removes the natural oils in their skin (and shortens the lifespan of any spot on flea treatments). Houses with dogs tend to get smelly because of carpets and upholstery. Keep her off the furniture if possible and encourage her to sleep in her own bed. Wash her bedding often (once a week). Carpet deodoriser can work well, my vet has stuff designed specifically for pet smells. I know that having a dog or dogs causes a lot more work in the house to keep it clean and smelling fresh but they are definitely worth it in my opinion.
    LOVE4MYPUGS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 09:07 PM

You can buy dogs wipes to use in between baths but I just get baby wipes. I have also found out that if you use the baby wipes to clean between the pads on the paws you will notice the smell go away. You might not think about it but if oou let your dog out and right back in they don't get dirty but their feet collect dirt just like our shoes do.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 05:18 PM
    If your dog is well behaved then the freedom of the house should be no problem. Can he/she get out to go potty? There are lots of products to keep pet odors down(like two entire aisles at PetSmart) and most of them do a good job, some better than others. I personally like Febreze for carpets and upholstery. Bathing more than once a week can cause problems for the dog's skin, so don't go nuts. Some dogs are smelly, too. You've got to figure out what works for you and your dog, just like every family member.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 05:27 PM

When I had a dog and kept her inside, nobody ever knew she was there because there was no smell.

As long as you keep her clean then that's the majority of your battle. [As others said, I wouldn't bathe more than once a week.] Also be sure that you shampoo/steam clean carpets and upholstery once a month or so. Febreze and other fabric deoderizer work well in between.

I found some spray at wal-mart that was like a doggy cologne. You just mist it lightly (2-3 pump sprays) and it makes the fur smell fresh. It's a very fine mist so it doesn't go to the skin and cause irritation. Also, there are tablets (that contain natural parsley) that help fight "doggy breath" which also cause the home to smell like dog.

These things worked for me and kept my home fresh. But above all, you have to be meticulously clean.
    jj23 Posts: 32, Reputation: -2

Apr 9, 2009, 09:05 PM

Berry or papaya Tropiclean works well... my vet uses it in their grooming times... you can find it at any pet store... really smells great
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2009, 01:58 PM

My Yorkie Pup use to never smell until about 2 weeks and then I would bathe him. He's only recently gone outdoors because he just turned 4 months old and just complete his shots. Now I notice that he's got that doggy smell only a couple of days after his bath especially after a nice brisk walk outside. I wonder if it is the sweat? I also always thought 2 weeks was the most I could bath my little guy, however, I see that some people bath their dogs once a week. Is that safe? Good idea about using the wipes between baths though, think I will try it.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 04:54 AM

How often do you bathe your dog?

What breed is it?

Is your dog toilet trained?

If you follow proper hygene and make sure the animal has no medical conditions (rotten teeth, stomach upsets etc) with your dog it should not smell.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 19, 2009, 09:03 AM

Brushing your dog everyday is the BEST thing you can do to keep your dog from smelling! Even better than bathing. I have to say I never believed this and used to wash my dog every week. Her skin didn't handle that too well, (flaky & some dandruff)) so I tried the brushing every day for about five minutes. She never smells anymore, and I am quite sensitive to odors. I bathe her about once every three weeks now and her coat is beautiful, she never flakes or scratches anymore. Try it! Brush, brush, brush! I am a believer now. Good luck.
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2009, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the tip on brushing, I will work on it. The little guy doesn't really like it, but I guess he will get use to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best way to keep my house from smelling like cigarettes? [ 20 Answers ]

I used to smoke and quit a year ago. Since I have quit, I can't stand the smell of tobacco. It makes me want to smoke. I have a roommate who smokes around a pack of Camel filters every day. Does anyone know of any products that will eliminate the smoky smell? I have tried air fresheners and...

House flooded, we're smelling mildew. [ 15 Answers ]

Washington State. The other night we walked out of the bedroom around midnight to find the entire house flooded. Something happened with the washing machine, and water had just been pouring out since 9pm when our roommate started laundry. Literally the carpets absorbed so much water that water...

Smelling smoke in the house [ 1 Answers ]

This is the second season using our Kozy pellet stove. First season and the first month of this season, it worked great, but now we are smelling smoke when we use it. My guess is a loose pipe or connection somewhere in the venting system, but I'm curious as to why it would starting smelling now. ...

Musky smelling house when heat/ac is on. [ 6 Answers ]

Last November when we moved into our house, we turned the heat on and noticed a really musky, basement like smell and also dirt. We thought it'd just wear off after a while since it was the first time turning it on but it still smelled. We also had a lot of nasal/sinus problems but we always have...

Bathroom gasses smelling underneath house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a single story ranch style home. There is a small crawl space underneath, but it is VERY tight - We seem to be having trouble with odor coming from the farthest bathroom towards the back of the house. When you go outside, the vent underneath the house which happens to be right below the...

View more questions Search