Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevorino Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Trane XL80 blower motor part number?
    Thanks ahead of time for helping me if you can! I know I need to replace a dying blower motor in a 1992 Trane XL80 gas furnace. My main questions are:

* What is the part number for the blower motor and where can I buy it either online or in Indianapolis? (I ask since I assume I may not be able to buy from wholesalers since I am just a consumer.)
    * Model number of Trane XL80 is TDD120R960A1. Serial #G29536108.
    * What motor is best? That is, are OEM motors available or would an "equivalent" motor do just as well?

It is a high efficiency two stage Trane. The motor has 4 wires coming from it.

I have replaced blower motors in large broadcast transmitters so this looks fairly straightforward BUT I'm not one to assume. So that brings me to the next question:

* What "gotchas" should I look out for?
    * How should I remove the "squirrel cage"? Does that require a puller or just unscrew from the shaft?

It looks like all I have to do is remove the flu pipe, the circuit board assembly mount, blower motor mount assembly, etc. Am I missing anything else?

I know to be sure the breaker is off and I always carry an AC inductor "glow stick" indicator as well as a meter plus grounding rod JUST to be extra careful. (I'd rather blow a breaker than me!)

Thanks again in advance!
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 05:02 AM
    If you can find an aftermarket motor that matches all the specs of your current one, you will save mucho $$$. With that in mind, the current motor part number is irrelevant. Seek matching horsepower, voltage, speed, rotation, housing dimensions, and shaft dimensions. Looks like your furnace is a 120kbtuh, so I'm thinking you will need either a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor. Replace the capacitor at the same time. If you take an extra minute to clean off the old motor shaft with abrasive cloth and hit it with a shot of WD-40, chances are it will slip right out of the wheel hub with no grief. Pay particular attention to the arrangement of the motor mounting bracket, as Tranes are a little unique compared to most. Stay tuned a bit for additional tips and suggestions from some other members before venturing into this wild frontier.:p
    kevorino Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 09:32 PM
    KC13, thank you very much for helping. If I had the motor in my hands all that would be easy but I don't want to take the furnace apart, get that info, put the motor back in (we still need it on cold nights), order the motor, take the furnace apart again, etc. Also please don't take this the wrong way but if I had that info I know enough to order a motor from that point. I was trying to avoid doing this job twice or having to do without my furnace for however long it takes to get the new motor. I can't work on it weekdays and all the shops where I'd buy this are weekday only shops thus I'd have to get it online. This is why I was hoping someone would say "Oh yea that's the 3/4HP motor with a 6" shaft with so-and-so windings" since they know it like the back of their hand. Replacing the motor is no big deal for me but getting the info I need has been a challenge so far.

Again, thanks KC13 for taking the time to assist. If you can help juust a bit more I would be eternally grateful!
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 09:06 AM
    I cannot find any info on your unit amongst my limited resources, so I'm afraid I might not be of any further help to you. When seeking to replace an OEM motor with an aftermarket, "us" field service techs usually remove the motor and survey the rating label for the necessary specs. You may be able to contact a local Trane distributor and provide them with the model # to get a part # and motor specs for your unit, but I doubt any will be open before Monday. I did come across some similar units that specified 3/4 HP but not your exact unit.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2009, 04:53 PM

Go to furnaceparts.com.

That should help!

mower_man
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mower_man View Post
    go to furnaceparts.com.

that should help!

mower_man
    You might find what you're looking for there, but I think you'll have to break down and pull the assembly out and get the motor specs. I did some checking there, the Trane part #'s for motors start with "MOT---...", but none were specified for your unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL80 Blower Not Operating [ 1 Answers ]

The blower on our Trane XL80 has stopped working. The burners come on and heat the box but the blower doesn't come on. I have tried moving the fan swithch on the thermostat from Aoto to On but that doesn't help. The 5 amp in=line fuse is still good. Any ideas?

How to remove a Trane (XL80) furnace Blower? [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane (XL80) furnace had been making rattling noise when it kicks on (both AC and Heat). I notice the rattling noise came from the blower. Sounds like the blower's not stable, perhaps, the balance weight or something came off. Is there anyway I can take out the blower and check it out? Is it...

Trane XL80 blower problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Trane XL80 furnace, about 16 years old, with heat only setup. After we turned on the heat, the pilot fire came on, then the furnace lit and the heats up, however the blower wasn't turning and not blowing air. We opened both doors, saw the fan limit (a little round dial with setting to...

TRANE XL80 blower stopped turning [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a TRANE XL80 Furnace. Couple of days ago the furnace “Blower” started to make humming and grinding noise and it wouldn’t turn. I then would give it a push start by turning it by hand, and it would turn for couple of hours and it would do the same thing. An hour ago, it stopped...

Squeaky Trane Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

Noticed last night that my Trane furnace was squeaking like a cricket when the air conditioner was running. Then every so often it would make an awful squealing sound like maybe a motor was getting stuck and unable to turn. From reading other posts I'm guessing that I might have a bearing or belt...

View more questions Search