Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okelley80 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Child support
    What will happen if the courts find out I haven't paid child support but I'm living with my kid and her mother,yet I haven't been able to find a job
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:22 AM

Who would tell the court? It only becomes an issue if someone complains about it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:22 AM

The support order is in effect until it's withdrawn. You owe for every week or month from the date of the order no matter where you live.

Feb 26, 2009, 08:38 AM

Yea I'm a good dad,I see my kid also,but we broke up and she filed,right after that we got back together,we broke up some months ago and I had a job,but I left my job to be back with my little girl and her mom and now I got to go to court she's only worried about if they found out if we lived together lol
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:58 AM

The money all ends up in the same house.

But while you aren't paying, living together and have a support order in effect, you are having deliquency calculated, probably with interest. So if you break up again you will be paying all of this back and then some.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 09:01 AM

If you want to modify the order because you are back together you have to go to court to do it. Until the court order is modified you owe the support.

Feb 26, 2009, 09:01 AM

But would she get in truoble is all I'm asking,because I don't want my daughter to be affected bye that
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:06 AM

Get in trouble for the support going to the child, there isn't anything to get in trouble for because you are living together.

Feb 26, 2009, 09:09 AM

Oh what if she gets assistance like daycare,medicare etc does
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:10 AM

Is she lying on her applications?

Feb 26, 2009, 09:17 AM

No nt at all
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Feb 26, 2009, 10:04 AM

You have to tell the amount of child support and income of the household you get on the apps. Is she reporting all the income and the household number of people with you included or left out? She may get in trouble if the paperwork is not showing everything. If she filled everything out when you were not there and didn't change anything when you came back then she can get in trouble and may have to pay back things she got if she didn't qualify.

Something else to think about is that you may have an amount of money that you owe the state for some of the thing that she gets. You should check into that.

You do need to go back to court and get things changed. If you split up again you could go back then. You should have reported the address changed within 30 days of the move. So the courts should know that you and her have the same address. Maybe paperwork only needs to be signed by both of you and you don't have to go in front of a judge. Check with the clerk and meet with a lawyer to be sure that things are done correctly; most places you can find a lawyer that will meet the first time for free so call around.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 10:05 AM

Get in trouble for what? That you were living together and didn't report it? Probably not.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Is she lying on her applications?

If she has lied on any application - for example, claimed she needed child day care because she works and has no one to care for the child but you actually are living with her and could care for the child - yes, she's committing fraud on the Government.

If she gets housing assistance because she lives alone with her child but you actually live there, yes, it's fraud on the Government.

Any lie on any application for assistance is fraud, if that's your bigger question.

Living with you and not filing for or accepting assistance is not a problem. You could have a problem, of course, because you are in arrears on child support. You could also have problems if the Government decides to go after you for benefits paid if/when you benefited from them.

I think there is a much larger issue here than child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

View more questions Search