Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradglover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Roommate on lease not paying full rent and utilities
    Ok here's my issue. I live in CA and both my roommate and I are on the lease on our apartment. However. It turns out he's been evading child support and now that they've caught up with him he can't make the amount he agreed to pay ($600 which includes his half of the rent and utilities). It started the beginning of this month and already he's $120 behind. Now I'm already looking for a new apartment with someone else and since this lease is a month to month lease I can leave with a 30 day notice. Here's my questions though.

1) the manager said that both my roommate and I have to sign the 30 day notice, so if I find a new place and he refuses to sign what can I do?

2) what legal action can I take to get the money he owes from this month and whatever else he will be owing when all is said and done?

3) if we both sign the 30 day notice but he doesn't leave at the end of the 30 days and I do will it affect me if they complex evicts him since we are both on the lease?

Thank you. I'm so ready to get rid of this guys. He's lazy. Doesn't clean up after himself, doesn't help clean the apartment, and is just all around lazy and insufferable.
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Feb 24, 2009, 09:31 PM
    I'm not a lawyer and I don't live in California, but here goes...

1), & 3), are easy. Talk to the manager. Since your roommate is the problem and not you, being cooperative will help you. If he doesn't sign the 30 day note, tell the manager. If he refuses to leave, do so. He will be obligated to come up with the rent. And if he doesen't, then it's his problem. Maybe he can take over the apartment and find a new roommate, but I highly doubt that he will given how you described him.

2). The best way is to take him to small claims court. But the hassle Vs. worthiness factor has to be evaulated before you do that.

Search for roommate contracts online, get a new place, and get better roomates. If you have to, maybe even pay for a basic background search so that you don't get burned again.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate not paying rent/no rental agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I own a house in CA. I rent out three rooms. One roommate moved in in Dec.07 her rent is $750.00 a month and she has only give me a told of $680.00 for three months rent. The first month I let her pay $500.00, her parents kicked her out and I felt bad for her I tried to give her a break. The second...

Roommate not on lease bails on utilities and deposit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a house with 3 other girls and recently another girl moved in. the 4 of us who had already moved in before her split the security deposit for which her portion was about $900. She wasn't put on the lease but since we all knew each other, we decided that it would be okay if she...

Breaking a joint lease with a roommate who refused to pay the utilities [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was living for two years in an apartment complex and was an ideal tenant always paying my rent and utilities. My neighbor, who I got to know by grilling in the evenings etc, came to me and said he was having surgery and would be on disability but it would not be enough to...

Roommate who is not on my lease, unstable, not paying rent, won't leave [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time using this site. I feel a bit trapped right now and not sure what my rights are. I live in Florida and I rent an apartment where I'm the sole lessee. I was in a bit of a tight spot financially and needed a room mate so a friend of mine moved in. He was in a tight spot...

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

View more questions Search