Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Feb 24, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Cheaper to buy or build a shed?
    I have the skills and tools to build a nice 8x10 wooden shed. Here's a pic what I am thinking of building. I want it to have 2 windows and I will be building it to match the color and siding of my house. I've seen prices from $1200 - $1500 for a basic 8x10... as high as $2000+ if I want nice siding on it. I want to know if it costs more money to build one or to buy one?
    Attached Images

Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 05:26 PM

It's almost always cheaper to build something yourself unless you can find one that is mass produced. Then, the economies of scale kick in and you can often (but not always) get it cheaper by buying it outright.

In my experience, with things like sheds, you usually make out by building it yourself, though there are always exceptions.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Hi logan to help answer your own question sit down and make a materials list as if you are going to build the shed yourself.

Once you have the numbers for the materials to build it just call around for pre built prices and there's your answer.

( I know you want to not have to do it that way but it is the best way. Then you could figure out what your time is worth, or if that's what you enjoy, building.

If you find you can build it cheaper then you already have your materials list

The next question is if you build it how long is the warranty on it ( I thought you get a kick out of that)

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:41 PM

Try this in addition to what 21Boat had to say above.

There are different lumberyard companies that have these shed kits that you can buy and have delivered at your home. They include all the lumber for the job. The entire project will probably cost you a few dollars more than if you were to go out and buy each piece of lumber needed. And it would be cut to the proper size so no cutting necessary. The only benefit in the kit would be the roof trusses being included versus you have to figure out how to put them together on the ground.

Hope you have some handy friends to help you put this project together.

I was in the same boat a few years ago when I wanted to do the same thing with a 10X12 shed I had in mind. I went with the prebuilt shed and had it delivered to my home. It had a nice wooden floor in it and all I had to do was paint the inside of the shed with a good quality paint. I was going to use it as a hobby and/or woodworking shop. I carpeted it as well and had an electrician add 2 heavy duty outlets and a chandelier. (nothing but the best for me)

I did go with the prebuilt mainly because I really didn't have enough time to devote to building it even though it was one of those prefab kits I had my eye on. Yes, the kit was cheaper than the already built shed but the time saving aspect was greater for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's cheaper, on always or off and on? [ 8 Answers ]

OK, question me and my wife are currently arguing about. Lets say the average temperature outside will be 80 degrees in the day and 65 in the evenings/nights, for the next 7 days. Is it cheaper to leave the central air ON all the time, set at say 75 degrees... or is it cheaper to turn it off...

Need a cheaper doc [ 2 Answers ]

I have some serious issued but I can afford to keep seeing a doc... I feel like I need my medicine because I can't function without it... anyone know where I can find inexpensive therapy? Do I really need 2 pay $40-$200 for someone to sign a prescription? I may have Bi-polar II and ADHD I have a...

Would you buy cheaper [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me an opinion? 1 What determines whether you would buy cheapest or buy what you want the most? Give reasons with examples for your viewpoint. 2 If the tax on milk were increased, would it result in your buying fewer cookies? Why do you think so? Explain by giving reasons.

View more questions Search