Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keshava Murthy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Windows Updates for Win XP-Pro - SP3
    Dear Friends,
    I am running Windows XP-Pro with SP3.
    I have set up autoupdates. The following updates are failing installation. I tried my best and not happening. Has any body experienced this problem and how to overcome this.
    I am getting the following message

"Some updates could not be installed
    The following updates were not installed

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86"

Appreciate some help

Thanks

Keshav Murthy
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Some things to try:
    1. Reboot and run Windows Update again.
    2. Manually download those specific updates and apply them. Often when an install fails the installer will leave a log file that can be examined for further details as to why it failed. There may be a command-line switch to force log file generation as well - consult the update's documentation. The Windows event log may also have information.
    3. Uninstall those components, reinstall, and then run Windows Update again.
    Keshava Murthy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Some things to try:
    1. Reboot and run Windows Update again.
    2. Manually download those specific updates and apply them. Often when an install fails the installer will leave a log file that can be examined for further details as to why it failed. There may be a command-line switch to force log file generation as well - consult the update's documentation. The Windows event log may also have information.
    3. Uninstall those components, reinstall, and then run Windows Update again.
    Hi Scleros

Thanks for your guidance. I will try it out today. And let you know if it worked. One more thing. This happened after I changed my antivirus from McAfee to BitDefender Total Security2009. I was wondering if this had anything to do with updates.

Keshav
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Keshava Murthy View Post
    ... I changed my antivirus from McAfee to BitDefender Total Security2009. I was wondering if this had anything to do with updates.
    Conceivable if it is misconfigured. Disabling BitDefender while running the update or checking its rules to see if it might be blocking the execution or network access of the update files etc. or wuauclt.exe can be tried. But, first get the patch installer log or Windows event log entry to see why the updates are failing. Randomly trying things to see what may work tends to be a waste of time.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 11:54 AM

I have had problems with getting those to update in past also, right now I cannot get the 3.5 sp1 update to install on vista or XP

You can download withour using update
    Download details: MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) Here
    Download details: MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 01:12 PM

I helped someone with the .NET framework. Had to uninstall it and then do the update. It doesn't seem to like previous versions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't install Windows XP Updates [ 5 Answers ]

(sorry, the question title should be "CAN'T" install updates) I had to replace a dead motherboard. That went fine and WinXP seemed to reinstall without incident. (Yes, it is a valid, legal copy of Windows). I was able to validate the install and run the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from...

Windows updates [ 1 Answers ]

I just did a windows repair on my computer. Now it won't let me do any updates. It says there are 80 updates, but it fails to let me get them.

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

Windows Updates for XP [ 2 Answers ]

How are you able to get a complete printout of your Windows Updates Installation History? All I can seem to get is only one page of history which doesn't show them all. Thanks, John

View more questions Search