Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MumtazG38 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I am 20, got married to NON-u.s citizen/resident, not in school, freelanc CAN I FILE?
    I am 20, got married to NON-u.s citizen/resident in 2008, am currently not in school and do freelance makeup for income (very little to none income) and my parents still claimed me as dependent in their last taxes because they are still supporting me. I want to know if I can file.

I have filed a petition with the USCIS for a CR-1 immigrant visa w/ 2 yr conditional greencard apon arrival for my Pakistani husband. I will need to show either 1040's, 1099's or W2's (no clue what these are) or tax transcripts of at least most recent tax year.

I have no job per say, only free lance when I need cash. I quit highschool in late 2007 and got my GED mid 2008. I plan on going to college to finish my prerequisites (chem,science,organic bios, physics, maths) in 2010, once this visa process is taken care of...whether he comes here or not. My parents have claimed me as a dependent this year already and I wanted to know whether I can file and get some sort of tax documentation so that I can show it for the visa process for the affidavit of support form.

I will not be filing as married because my husband is not here and does not have an ssn. Also, I believe if I file as married it will get my parents in trouble for filing for me as a dependent, even though they just recently found out I had gotten married, a month after they filed.

What are 1040's, 1099's and W2's and who do they apply to. Can/should I file for them... and how? What taxes should I file for????

Can I use any free tax software or something? Can anyone recommend any? How's turbo tax? Would it work for someone who has never had a paycheck type job?

If not, do you think I will be able to use my parents tax papers showing me as a dependent....or would that cause more of an issue for my affidavit of support. I do have a sponsor who can provide all of their papers....but I still need mine.

Thank you.
    Mumtaz
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Feb 23, 2009, 01:41 PM

I cannot answer any of your tax questions.

Regarding US immigration, if you filed a relative petition for your husband, the USCIS requires evidence (usually taxes) that your household income (you and your husband) meet 125% of the HHS poverty guideline. For 2008 family of 2, you need to show income of $17,500. If you cannot meet that, there is the "asset" test, but more common is to get a joint sponsor that can sign the affidavit of support to show the income. Please note the new I-864 is very detailed and is a binding contract on the joint sponsor, allowing the US government to seek reimbursement for some governmental benefits if provided.

Congratulations on your marriage. You should consult with an experience immigration attorney. If this was helpful, rate this answer. Good luck!
    MumtazG38 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
    I already know about immigration requirements... can't anyone answer my tax questions?? :confused::(
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 02:25 PM
    MumtazG38:

If you have not yet filed, you need to file Form 1040 with Schedule C and SE to declare the cash-only incoem you have earned.

It is likely that, even though you are NOT claiming your personal exemption, you will have little or no taxable income so you will owe virtually no income taxes and very little self-employment taxes.

If you need professional help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are all the papers to file when married to american citizen? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just got married in the US to an american citizen and now I want to know what are all the papers that I need to file to migration, my current status in the us is tourist since Im a resident of a south american country. Thank you

Federal tax Resident alien Spouse works out of US File married jointly [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question for 2008 tax. I am a resident alien for tax purpose from 2006. My husband works out of US (he got the SSN when he stayed as F-1 in US) and has no US income. I wonder if I can file as status married jointly? I understand that I need to claim his worldwide income. Since his...

Citizen married to Non-resident [ 6 Answers ]

A US Citizen recently married in Feb. 2007 to an Indian Citizen who is in process of getting green card (received in Feb. 2008) and arriving in US at that time for the first time. Since the Indian Citizen will not have their green card until Feb. 2008, they will receive their SSN at that time. ...

View more questions Search