Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7hikers Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Cannot connect 1 of 3 pcs to our network
    2 of our 3 xp router hard wired lan pcs see each other. 1 cannot even ping its own IP even though it connects to the Internet just fine. I've done the typical troubleshooting. It's the newest and strongest PC of the 3.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 20, 2006, 03:38 AM
    Does it have any 3rd party firewall installed on it like Zonealarm or Norton Internet Security? This could be stopping the lan connection working while the internet is fine. Try disabling the firewall on the PC to test.

Please summarise the typical troubleshooting you have already done so we can discount these things.

Aug 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
    --2 of 3 XP PCs in the workgroup can access each other’s shared folders.

--The 3rd PC, “JEFFPC” (XP Pro), is listed in the workgroup list on “BENPC” (XP Home) and “FAMILYPC” (XP Pro). But when you click on “JEFFPC” the standard message appears: “COMPUTER NOT ACCESSIBLE…Network path not found.”

--The workgroup list on “JEFFPC” only shows itself.

-->ping 192.168.1.105 shows no results for “JEFFPC” IP address, and this is confirmed by running Network Diagnostics via System Information which shows "Failure" in that one line item under the Network Adapters category, everything else looks fine on that detailed report. Seems like TCP/IP is not enabled.

-->ipconfig /all shows "NODE TYPE: unknown" and “IP Routing Enabled: no", DHCP is enabled, Autoconfiguration is enabled, identifies my network adapter, PERHAPS SHOULD BE MANUAL TCP/IP PROTOCOL INSTEAD OF AUTOMATICALLY OBTAIN IP ADDRESSES?

--I disabled but did not uninstall Zone Alarm Security Suite (it has the network IP set correctly and is set to "Trusted") for all PCs and made sure XP's firewall was not enabled.

--I reran the Network Setup Wizard repeatedly, all pcs allow printer and file sharing.

-->ipconfig /release >ipconfig /flushdns >ipconfig /clear >ipconfig /renew

--LAN repair procedure done (Right Click on Local Area Connection icon + Repair)

-->ping 192.168.1.1 works (my gateway)

--Explorer Address Bar: \\JEFFPC shows the partitions I'm enabled to be seen on the network (Properties/Sharing/"Share This Folder on the Network"). And the Windows Network Workgroup shows those partitions as well.

--System Properties shows the correct computer and network name.

--Services enabled: Client For Microsoft Networks, File And Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Workstation, Server, TCP/IP NetBios Helper, Computer Browser, Network Connections.

--Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers is enabled in the Explorer Folder Options

--Each PC has the same Workgroup name and its own PC name.

-->Net User Guest is active

--The latest July 2006 Realtek LAN adapter driver is installed.

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\ restrictanonymous = 0
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 20, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hikers
    --I disabled but did not uninstall Zone Alarm Security Suite (it has the network IP set correctly and is set to "Trusted") for all PCs and made sure XP's firewall was not enabled.
    There's your problem.
    Disabling Zone Alarm doesn't stop it acting as a firewall, only stops the active part of the program.
    Best idea would be to uninstall ZA, using the inbuilt uninstaller NOT add/remove, and you'll have access again.

Aug 20, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Totally uninstalling Zone Alarm didn't help.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 21, 2006, 12:05 PM
    So, you can ping the gateway 192.168.1.1 but can't ping your own ip address? What does IPConfig/all give you? Do you have more than one connection in the back of the computer for lan/internet access?

What does ping 127.0.0.1 give you?

Hint - if you type "ipconfig /all >textfile.txt"

This will output the result into a text file (called textfile.txt) that you can post here easily.

Aug 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
    It pings 127.0.0.1 OK.

Is there some type of reinstall I should perform with the Lan adapter?

There's just 1 ethernet port.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : JeffPC

Primary Dns Suffix.. . :

Node Type.. . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled.. . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description.. . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address.. . : 00-E0-4C-DF-CF-39

Dhcp Enabled.. . : No

IP Address.. . : 192.168.1.105

Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway.. . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers.. . : 204.127.203.135

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not Being Able To Connect [ 1 Answers ]

Facing prob when I'm trying to connect web through mobile phone . Prob is a fax modem already there in the laptop. So when trying with datacable its showing error messege "this modem is used by another usser" Please make the solution fast. That I can logon through the mobile phone Thanks

Can't connect [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a problem getting my Browser to connect to the internet. I am using my wife's computer right now. I don't know what could have happened as earlier I was surfing the net (I was even logged in to this site) when all of a sudden everything went blank. I have tried connecting with IE,...

How do you connect to a T1 network from home? [ 11 Answers ]

If you are eventually going to work from your home for your company, are you able to connect to your companies T1 service from home and if so how do you do this?

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

Can't connect [ 5 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

View more questions Search