Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Change in behaviour towards other pet cat
    We have two 11 year old cats from the same litter. They have always cleaned each other, slept and sit together. Last week the male cat was diagnosed with diabetes and had to spend 48 hours in the emergency pet hospital. He came home and I now give him insulin shots twice a day.

However, since he has been home, the female cat will not let him near her. If he comes within a couple of feet, she growls and hisses and if he actually approaches her, she strikes out at him.

Why this change in her behaviour and will it pass.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 01:56 PM

I have seen the same thing with my cats. My guess is that it is because the cat who has been away has a different smell as a result of having spent time in a different environment and having been handled by lots of new people. When I've encountered this change in behavior it has never lasted very long at all.

How long has it been since he returned home? Has there been any change in his behavior?
    Crista Posts: 66, Reputation: 16

Feb 21, 2009, 04:58 PM

I had this happen too with my two cats which are brothers. They used to be great friends but one of them had to spend over night at the vet and when he came back the next day, the other cat would have rather of killed him if I didn't separate them.

Eventually, it will ceased when the other cat slowly but surly gets the vets smells gone. But I found a quick and working method to speed the process up. I brushed the cat that didn't go to the vet really good than with the same brush, brushed the lonely cat.
    Now, their back to normal and everything is well. It took a day or so for the other cat to realize it was his friend all that time.
    I hope it works for you.
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behaviour [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cat that is does not like to be touched... she is mean and will bite.. I need to examine her skin as she is scratching to the point of losing fur.. she won't let me put anything on her or pick her up to see if there is anything I can do.. neither can I get her in a cat carrier to take her...

Odd dog behaviour [ 9 Answers ]

I am dog sitting for a friends 2 yr old male zu (Sam). I have a female Am Eskie/Lab who is 4 yrs. The 2 dogs have known each other for quite sometime, but it has always been at the zu's home. They get along quite well with each other. My dog seems to be having some jealousy issues since...

What does this behaviour mean? [ 11 Answers ]

I know I should just dump him technically speaking but when you love someone properly you seek out reasons for why he is acting a certain way etc. First off, I am pregnant - nearly 24 weeks gone and 26 yrs old, v miserable and alone, working my bum off in Ireland, to try and get money up for...

Drastic change in behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 cats, the youngest we got about 6 months ago. Our oldest cat was not happy but tolerated her up to now. All of a sudden The eldest is trying to kill her, to the point where the youngest is urinating and defecating all over the place. I have a feeling that the youngest is unstable, we found...

Cat behaviour [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old spayed female calico cat. The cat has one terry cloth toy that she has been carrying upstairs to my bedroom, or depositing at my bedroom door quite frequently. Curious to know what type of behaviour this is. She doesn't bring it back down, however if I do, I usually...

View more questions Search