Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollythenurse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 11:51 PM
    Should I file amended return, or not?
    Last year, on my taxes I screwed up BIG TIME, and filed my unearned income (unemployment), quite by accident, under my home based, cash-earned income. I subsequently received a letter stating that as a result of this I now owed them 1800$.
    I lost my 20 year old son right before I got that letter, and needless to say, I spent 6 horrific, painful months in bed. I still have the letter, but I can't find ANY of my tax stuff... only the old return. I'm in DEEP, aren't I? And, if I can even amend the return now, how should I do this?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:39 AM

My mom was in a similar situation, however it was due to bank errors: One was an investment company wide problem. The other two involved the bank not using the right code for bonds and mom failed to give me the statement and an account was left out of the income total.

I lost my father that year.

If I remember right, the IRS gave you all the paperwork necessary to fix the problem. They pointed out the line and the issue and if you agreed, you were done.

If you didn't agree, then there was some 1:1 correspondence until it was done.

I don't think we had to file a 1040x.

I'm sorry for your loss. Been there. Done that.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 04:46 AM

Call IRS to get transcripts of your 2007 tax return.
    If you did not receive any other letter from IRS, it may be that you do not owe any taxes.
    If needed, you can amend your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

Amended tax return [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check the status of my amended tax return

How do I find the status of my amended tax return for 2007?

File Amended Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. I later found out that the efiling service I used does not have 1040 NR. Can I efile 1040X and 1040NR through another site? Is it possible to mail in the amended forms, or should I efile it because I efiled 1040EZ? Thanks in advance.

How do I check the status of my amended tax return

View more questions Search