Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charmdollar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 07:05 AM
    stoichiometry- molar masses
    methanol was made in lab. Equation- CO + 2H2 giving one mol of CH3OH.
    A. how many grams of methanol would be produced in complete reaction. The answer is 40.3g. The reaction used 35.4g carbon monoxide and 10.2g hydrogen.
    I'm not sure what to do but I thought that I would find the number of moles of CO and H by dividing mass with Mr and I got 0.79 for CO and 0.39 for H and from the equation I know a mol of CO and 2 of H produce 1 of CH3Oh. But from here I don't know how to get to 40.3g.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
    CO + 2H2 = CH3OH

35.4 g of CO is about 1.26 moles of CO (divide 35.4 by the molecular weight of CO).
    10.2 g of H2 is about 5.1 moles of H2.

since you need 2 moles of H2 for every mole of CO, 5.1 moles of H2 would require 2.55 moles of CO.

40.3 grams of CH3OH is about 1.26 moles of CH3OH.

The number of moles of CO is equal to the number of moles of CH3OH so apparently H2 is present in excess.

I'm not sure where you got the 0.79 for CO or the 0.39 for the H (remember it's H2, not H).

Hope this helps.
    Good luck,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Force of gravity between two masses [ 1 Answers ]

A force of gravity exists between two masses. How is the initial force of gravity (F1) affected if the separation distance between them is modified in the following ways to yield a new force of gravity (F2)? (a) The separation distance is doubled (i.e. increased by a factor of 2). F2 / F1 = ? ...

Tension - Two Masses [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me to understand this problem? Two 100-N weights are attached to a scale as shown. What is the reading on the scale? (I have attached the picture) The correct answer is 100N but I do not understand why it is not 200N.

Molar Enthalpy [ 1 Answers ]

Calculate the standard molar enthalpy of combustion for acetic acid?

View more questions Search