Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim Cherry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 09:06 PM
    3" sewer main adequate?
    I am adding another bathroom to our 3 bath house, we have a 3" sewer main. Is that adequate to drain the additional bathroom?
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Feb 19, 2009, 09:09 PM

In most places I believe that a 3" drain line is the minimum allowed for a bathtub and 2 1/2" for a stool or sink. You can check your local code or call the city planning and permits office.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Amsteube... your information is inaccurate... ;) Maine, Mass. Florida, California all have same minimium size requirements... That is, 3" minimum for a toilet, 1.5" minimum for sink and tub, 2" for shower. If piped underground then 2" is minimum size allowed underground so sink and tub kick up to 2" pipe. It is also very uncommon to use 2.5" pipe for anything. And not to bust yer Balls here (I swear), but the question wasn't even about minimum pipe sizes for fixtures... it was about sizing of the main sewer line to accommodate additional bathroom... Just FYI...ok?

Jim... you said your 3 bathroom house... does this include the new bathroom or not? If not (making this a 4 bath house), then the 3" will not be the appropriate size. All codes that I know of will not allow more than 3 toilets on any 3" drain pipe. If your main sewer is 3" then, by code, it will need to be increased to 4" to add the 4th toilet...

Let me know more here...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:41 PM

Size of sewer lines is given by number of plumbing fixtures connected to it. Rule of thumb is: 2 bathrooms = 3" pipe. More than 2 bathooms ( or 2 toilets ) = 4" pipe. By Code, you will have to upgrade portion of your existing sewer to accommodate the new bath.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Jim... in Maine, you can have up to 3 bathrooms on a 3" drain. Milo's from California and his codes differ from our area.

Answer all questions I asked earlier... ok?

Thanks...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main Sewer Line [ 3 Answers ]

How many residents can run on a forty year old eight inch sewer line?

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Flush 2x? Long way to sewer main [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is 300' (uphill, fortunately) from the sewer main. We have a 3.0 gallon/flush toilet, because the plumber told my husband (twenty years ago, when he built the house) that he'd need to make sure we had a lot of water going down to wash solids all the way to the sewer main. Now the top of...

Main sewer drain line [ 4 Answers ]

I busted up the floor in our basement to put in a bathroom. I was going to tie into the main drain line about 5 feet from the stack and replace the base of the stack. I also wanted to change the existing floor drain which ties in 5 feet further down the line. I busted it all out and the main drain...

Trap in sewer main [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron sewer main in an older home. Just where it exits from under the house, it takes a 90 degree turn downward, then 180 back up, forming a trap. I've never heard of a trap in the main line. Is this normal? Will it lead to clogs? Seems that solids would tend to accumulate at the...

View more questions Search