Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristleee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Basement bathtub drain
    We have had the plumbing roughed in for several years for a basement bathtub, but we are just now getting ready to install. When we originally started this project years ago we were told we would have to chisel out a 12" square surrounding the tub drain in the cement to allow for ventilation (this seems a bit excessive). I've also been told that the builder would have allowed for ventilation when the drain was installed. We are pretty clueless with plumbing questions & have considered hiring someone to install it, but we would prefer to do the work ourselves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
    When we originally started this project years ago we were told we would have to chisel out a 12" square surrounding the tub drain in the cement to allow for ventilation (this seems a bit excessive). I've also been told that the builder would have allowed for ventilation when the drain was installed.
    This is called "The Tub Dap Out" ,(see image) and has nothing to do with ventilation. It is there for the trap and should have been boxed out wher the slab was poured. You shouldn't have had to chisel out a thing but if there's no square hold you will have to expose the trap by yourself. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Kristleee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Thanks for the answer Tom. We actually haven't done any chiseling yet. Would we have to elevate the tub at all? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

How do I replace my chrome bathtub drain with my new bronze drain? [ 7 Answers ]

I just updated my bathtub/shower fixtures from chrome to oil rubbed bronze. The problem is the drain cover. I have what looks to be a simple kind where the drain plug screws into the drain hole. It's the chrome piece inside the tub that I want changed, the pipe itself drains fine. The...

Basement Bathtub to Shower Drain Conversion [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have removed my basement bathtub to facilitate the installation of an interior french drain system. I plan to replace it with a shower of the same dimension. Shower pans are available in the correct size and with drains at the end like in a bathtub. I am told that I will need to increase...

Basement Drain is positioned for a bathtub, we want to install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of developing our basement. The floor plan that was used by the builder called for a bathtub in the bathroom, so the drain pipe is positioned for a bathtub. We want to install a shower, but the drain hole does not line-up. It is off by about 2 feet. Is there any simple...

Basement Bathtub Installation [ 9 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement, including a full bath that was roughed in by the builder, and I have a few questions about the bathtub install (a basic 30"x60" porcelain over steel tub). 1. When I attach the drain underneath it raises the tub up slightly. Do I need to shim the tub up, or is...

View more questions Search