Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistrypg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 01:18 AM
    Residence /Non Residence Status (B1 & H1)
    Hi I was on B1 visa during First Quarter (Mar08-Jun08) where my company paid my salary in India. On Aug 02, 2008 I came to US on H1 visa ? As such I have completed 183 days Should I be considered as Residece Or Non-Residence for the Purpose of Tax Filing ?:(
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:33 AM

You are dual status. Also your residency starting date is the first date you were present in the U.S. in 2008. It means you must report your worldwide income on the U.S. tax return from March 08.

On India tax return you are nonresident for FY 2008-2009. If you have any question, post at http://mytaxes.in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residence status for taxes purpose for opt 2008 [ 7 Answers ]

The first day I arrived U.S under F1 Visa status was on 12/31/2003. Now I am on my OPT extension with the same F1 status. I would like to know the what status(resident or non-resident) should I use for 2008. Also, if I am considered as a resident for taxes purpose in 2008, do I have to pay the...

Permanent Residence Status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I just received my Permanent Residence (Conditional) status. My husband and I had a disagreement and is threatening me with Divorce. I am originally Canadian and had myself established there with a career as a Law Clerk. By marrying my American husband, I have lost everything by...

On L1A Visa - Confused about residence status & Best way to file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks in advance for your time. I moved to Chicago, IL from India on October 2, 2007 on an L1A visa. My wife moved on November 25, 2007 on an L2. While both of us have SSNs, neither of us have a state issued driver's license. Both of us expect to be in Chicago for the whole of 2008 with...

US Residence status for tax 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came in US on 24July and my wife came on 27Aug... we were here for less than 183 days in 2007... Can we still file 1040 regular form... I was reading at some site that: You can do it as a First-Year choice. If you do not meet either the green card test or the substantial presence...

Does a j1 visa holder non residence receive more taxes back than a US residence? [ 6 Answers ]

Last year... my taxes were 1100 dollars(federal + state ),, that is what my w2 showed... I got back 1000 dollars for those 4 months i worked that year... This year my taxes are 4000 dollars (federal + state) that what it shows my w2 and its more money cause i worked 12 months.. right? ...

View more questions Search