Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsphoto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
    240v GFI trips when 120v branch circuit is activated.
    I'm having a problem with my Spa GFI/disconnect. I have been using my spa for several years wired as it currently is with no problem. A while ago I decided to take advantage of the provided 15 amp branch circuit that is built into the disconnect/GFI box. I just wanted to have a outdoor outlet for use in the backyard and installed a Reddot enclosure with a duplex plug. As soon as I plug anything in, the GFI trips. I know it is wired correctly. The hot off one of the 2 legs for the 240 is factory wired to a 15A breaker. My plug wires are as such, hot to breaker, neutral to neutral bus bar, ground to ground bus bar. The disconnect is a Connecticut Electric which is about 6-7 years old. I noticed on the Connecticut Electric website that says I should use a GFI outlet with the branch circuit, which I didn't understand. Seems like a double GFI. But I did it anyway with a new GFI outlet and got the same results. As soon as I flip on the 15A branch circuit, the 240 GFI trips. I suppose I could just grab one leg pre GFI and get my hot that way to the breaker and have the GFI at the outlet. I just wanted to do it the way the manufacture recommended. Any ideas? I'm out!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsphoto View Post
    I know it is wired correctly. The hot off one of the 2 legs for the 240 is factory wired to a 15A breaker. My plug wires are as such, hot to breaker, neutral to neutral bus bar, ground to ground bus bar.
    Sounds to me like you are using the load side hot off the GFI breaker, but taking the neutral from the neutral bar. This is not correct and will instantly trip a GFI like you are experiencing.
    You need to use the load neutral connection off the GFI breaker for your receptacle neutral.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 08:51 AM

The GFI pigtail goes to the box neutral. The neutral on the breaker (Load Neutral) goes to the SPA box as neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tap 120V out of 240V heater circuit [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I need to tap 120V out of the existing 240V baseboard heater wirings to use a 120V 3-prong washer (the heater itself was removed, only the wiring left. I do have a 120V outlet nearby but on the other side of the doorway so I don't want to use it) Currently there are 5 wires at the 240V...

Can I have a 120V and a 240V outlet on the same circuit? [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a 4 wire 50 amp plug in the laundry room but I am also plumbing a gas line. If I end up with a gas dryer I'll need a 120V plug. Is it permissible by national code to install a 20A 120V plug off the 50 240V breaker. Since it's an A or B use case it seems safe but is it code...

Replace 240v Water Heater Circuit with 120v Receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 240v electric water heater that I am getting rid of (going NG tankless). Can I use the now unused 240v wire that comes from the breaker panel as a 120 volt receptacle so I can have a plug on the wall where the old electric water heater was? The new tankless water heater is going...

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

GFCI trips when a separate circuit is activated [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this. I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets. But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also...

View more questions Search