Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff2857 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Toilet incompletely flushes
    For the past year, my toilet has needed 2 to 3 flushes to clear the bowl even when there is minimal waste in the bowl. There is no water seepage at the base and the tank fills and empties completely. Short of buying a new toilet , is there anything I can try to fix this ?Thank you for your assistance in advance .
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 12:07 PM

Could be one of two issues here. Your toilet drain line may be partially clogged so a quick augering with a toilet auger should help with that. The other issue could be how the toilets starts its vortex in the water causing the flush. Is there a small hole down in the bottom of the sumparea of the toilet? If so make sure there is no blockage or accummulation that would hinder that initial blast of water. Be sure also that your flush valve is adjusted to stop filling the tank just 1" shy of the overflow tube. Well, I guess that's three, not two issues.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 19, 2009, 06:27 AM
    For the past year, my toilet has needed 2 to 3 flushes to clear the bowl even when there is minimal waste in the bowl
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When Neighbor flushes his toilet, mine flushes too [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a two level condo. When my neighbor who lives behind me flushes his or her toilet, my toilet on the first level flushes as well. It's not a full flush, but when I take the lid off the tank, the refill valve is open and water seems to flow from the tank into the toilet. I'm not sure why...

Toilet Flushes then doesn't [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet starting flushing slow then not at all then after I plunge it sometimes it flushes and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't flush after the plunge I plunge it harder and it flushes as long as there is nothing in the bowl. If I put 2 sheets of tp in the bowl and then flush it acts like...

Toilet randomly flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old toilet and just within the last month the tank has been emptying and filling backup all on it's own - if I'm home for 4 hours straight, I'll hear it 4-5 times. I did replace the wax ring awhile back. Is it water pressure or a leak? Thanks in advance!

Toilet is flushing slowly & incompletely [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet is flushing slowly and leaving a lot of the solids/paper in the bowl. Sometimes when flushing it, I can hear a gurgling sound in the bathtub. I have used a coat hanger as suggested to clean the holes in the rim of the tank with no improvement. The water in all my other fixtures drains...

Smell when toilet flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story home about 3 years old. The problem started about a year ago with the upstairs toilets. Then included the downstairs toilet. It is a septic smell . The toilets all gurgle and burp when flushed which of course lets the smell burp in. I've snaked all the vents today and find no...

View more questions Search