Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carebear99 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Need some support
    Hi...

I'm a first year nursing student and I'm in my 2nd semester. I always wanted to be a nurse but I'm just starting to get very frustrated... After I passed first semester with flying colors, I was full of happiness and excitement... However, now that my 2nd semester finals are approaching next week, I'm sooo stressed and I just don't even want to be a nurse anymore. I have been passing my classes by borderline marks. I feel so stupid... I've always tried to be perfect but now that my marks are deteriorating I feel like a failure. I don't want to tell my family because they think I'm smart and I don't want them to know I'm suffering. I don't want to fail either because I feel like I'm letting myself down. I just need someone that's been successful in this situation to give me advice. I really need it, I'm so stressed :(
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:56 PM

BREATH!!
    It's going to be okay. If you don't like it, don't do it. Find another major, it's not too late to change, you're in your first year and have probably taken mostly core classes that will transfer to any other major. I know a man that took 7 years to get his bachelors degree and then went on to law school and then became a rabbi. You don't have to do the same thing forever, you can change your mind if you don't like it.
    Just because you don't like nursing does not mean you are stupid! Your family won't like you any less because you want to do something else or because your not good a something. Everyone has something they're not good at.

On the other hand if you really truly want to be a nurse, you can do whatever you set your mind to. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like to get to do things that we love.
    I'm pre-med, and after having a 3.9 GPA this semester I'm really close to failing calculus and am royally screwing up chemistry. But just because it's hard I'm not quitting, I want to be a doctor more than anything in the world and if that means studying longer than I get to sleep and cutting out myself time then so be it. What I'm trying to say is if you really want to be a nurse don't let the bad times get you down, in the end it will be worth it, just buckle down and go for it.

As AL Einstein said, "you cannot acheive a new goal by applying the same level of thinking that got you where you are today."

Feb 17, 2009, 10:08 PM

Hey Gernarld Thanks!!
    The thing is that I always wanted to be a nurse... I'm just stressed to the max. I know that sometimes we have to suffer or go through failure to achieve our dreams. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Especially since I haven't failed anything before. It's just frustrating when I give up my time and sleep to study my butt off and in the end I do poorly on an exam. I know that sleepless nights don't always guarantee a great grade but I guess I should keep trying!! Good luck to you as well. A 3.9 GPA?? I'd kill to have that anyday lol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Carebear, I've been there done that, and have the nurses' cap to prove it!!

You can get through this. Heck, if I did, anyone can. LOL

One of my favorite nursing instructors said that some of the best nurses are the ones with compassion and love for their profession. You can't show compassion and love on a paper test. She also told me that some of the best nurses are the ones who make C's. Why? Because they are more focused on the person than the disease.

If you don't get an A, it's not the end of the world, a C means Continue.

Just keep trying, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it ain't a train!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 08:31 AM

Part of the trouble is perhaps you have always had it "too" easy, did good grades always just happen, you could pass without trying that hard.
    Many high school students find that.

And when they get into college they find it is hard to develop new study habits, To grasp new concepts.

Then they start to feel depressed and that causes them to do worst.

If this was easy anyone could do it
    ?? Doctor fr chuck, humm good sound??

See what I mean, if it is something you really want, you are going to have to work at it, first pass all you can, and if you don't pass a class, take it over, that happens. We don't even want to discuss my latin class.
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
    The first semester of nursing school is always the easiest. Each semester gets harder and harder as they are preparing you for the "real world" of nursing.

I don't know about your tests, but mine were all multiple choice and all 4 answers were correct, the trick was that you had to pick the answer that was the MOST correct.

It's tough, but you can do it.

Feb 18, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hey guys... Thanks! All my tests are multiple choice as well and all the answers are correct... I think that's what's biting me in the since I have bad critical thinking skills.. But I guess they'll get better with more practice. I just had to do this case scenario thing where the teacher is watching me and it's on a pass or fail basis and I failed because my mind went blank when she asked me the first question. I was sooo nervous. However, I get another chance to prove myself. I feel a little better since more than half the students failed. I'm just stressed about the re test. If I do fail it, I guess it's okay I just need to get back up and take the class again and knock it in the face lol. But lets hope I pass.. My Re test is tomorrow, I will keep you guys posted!! Thanks again, I feel much better :)
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
    What do you need help with? I'll be happy to help you.

Feb 18, 2009, 09:32 PM

Aw thank you so much!! I don't have any nurse friends or anyone to ask for help it's so nice to know there's other people out there to help me :)... I have a scenario test which I am pretty prepared for but One thing I'm not confident about is Diabetes type 1 and Diabetes type 2. In my understanding, Type 1 diabetes is when the body fails to produce insulin, therefore insulin injections must be taken for replacement of insulin. Type 1 usually occurs at birth or at the beginning years of life.

Type 2 diabetes is when the body produces insulin but doesn't use it. Therefore Pills are taken instead of insulin shots which help the body use the insulin made by the pancreas...

Is this correct?? And what is ketoacidosis and in which diabetes does it occur in ?

If you could help me out that would be awesome.. I'd really appreciate it thank you :D
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear99 View Post
    Type 2 diabetes is when the body produces insulin but doesn't use it. Therefore Pills are taken instead of insulin shots which help the body use the insulin made by the pancreas......

Is this correct???? and what is ketoacidosis and in which diabetes does it occur in ?

If you could help me out that would be awesome.. I'd really appreciate it thank you :D
    I'll try to help to the best my memory serves me. I graduated a year ago and I now work in labor and delivery and the newborn nursery.

Okay, now Type II... either pills or shots are taken, it depends on the severity. Type II can also be controlled with diet. You are correct about the rest.

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is usually seen in people who have type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes. Most often, these are diabetics younger than 25 years, but the condition may occur in diabetics of any age. Males and females are equally affected.

This happens when the body has NO insulin. This leaves the muscle, fat and live cells unable to use sugar (glucose), that is usually in the blood, for fuel.

Type I diabetes, while it usually occurs early in life, the first few years, it can develop at any time, usually under age 25.

Feb 20, 2009, 07:41 PM

Hey thanks so much everyone!! I ended up passing... My teacher was like you have too much knowledge when she was asking me general knowledge questions. Lol.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 07:47 PM

Knew you could do it! Keep up the good work!
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear99 View Post
    Hey thanks so much everyone!!! I ended up passing... My teacher was like you have too much knowledge when she was asking me general knowledge questions. lol.
    Congrats!! That's one more thing out of the way, and one step closer to graduating! :D

Feb 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

I know, I'm happy I got that one out of the way! Now I have 6 exams in 3 days... I can't wait until it's over!! Now I'm stumped with Pharmacology... Half of it consists of math and I hate math!! It's all drug calculations and they can be tricky sometimes. I will continue keeping you guys posted on my results =)
    Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 05:08 PM
    The drug calculations can be made easy. Remember D divided by H times Q

That means the top number is what the doctor ordered, 125mg for instance, the bottom number is what you have on hand 375 mg, divide those and multiply by the number of milliliters you need. And voilą you have your answer.

Feb 23, 2009, 12:44 AM

Hey thanks again! That formula really helps =) However, I have this question I'm stumped on... I have to write the amount of ml I would give for the following question

Doctors order Fortaz (Ceftazidime) 1.5 g IV Q12H. Stock Fortaz 1 g vials. Add 10 ml sterile water for injection. Approximate concentration 100 mg/ml.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 05:33 AM
    First, you need to turn your grams into milligrams. So, 1.5 grams = 1500 mg. That's the doctor's order. You have 1000 milligrams on hand, so you divide these two. Then you multiply that answer by the 10 ml of sterile water.

You would be giving 15ml.

Feb 23, 2009, 06:40 PM

hey J_9... Thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.. I had my exam today and I used that formula it's like magic!! Lol I'll post my results once I get them =) THANKS AGAIN!!
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 04:53 AM
    I'm so happy to hear that helped! Please post your exam results and I'll be sure to celebrate with you!

Good job! I knew you could do it!

Feb 24, 2009, 07:31 PM

Hey,

I think I passed all my exams.. Except for pharmacology. The requirement is to get 90% in order to pass that one exam. More than half the class failed... So now I get one more chance tomorrow to re write it. I messed up on matching the drugs with their class and the antidotes given for certain drug overdoses. But I passed the math portion thanks to you!! But I will continue to keep you posted with the rest of my results. Tomorrows my last day of exams so I should find out my results by Friday... I should get back to studying now.. it's going to be a long night lol...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a man after paying support for 15 yrs request paternity and get support stopped [ 2 Answers ]

If a man paid child support for 15 yrs and begins to question paternity can he get this stopped

Family support/spouse support/alimony [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Northern California, I pay family support to my ex but is it the same than spouse+child support? How can I stop paying alimony to my ex who's getting married?

View more questions Search