Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannahc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Grout vs cement
    Hi,

I'm tiling the floor of my front entryway/vestibule, and in the lay-out I have designed, have a 2" tile border with a 1/2 inch space on either side running around the perimeter of the 4' square space (larger 6" tiles are fill the centre of the space with 1/4" spacers). I wanted to know whether I might have problems using grout when having that wide a gap around the border (would it be more prone to cracking when used in wider areas?), and whether I should use cement instead. Is cement stronger than grout?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 02:13 PM
    1. Don't use cement. It's not fine enough.
    2. Double check the packaging of the grout at Lowes/HomeDepot to confirm the maximum space it will work for. I've never used it to fill a gap that wide, but I'd guess you'll find that it will be OK.
    3. Consider an alternative: Instead of a 1/2" gap, use thin pieces of tile. They sell thin pieces right alongside the square ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Set Tile Grout [ 7 Answers ]

My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout...

My grout has mildew [ 4 Answers ]

I just removed the caulking around the bottom of my shower stall (where the floor tile meets the wall tile). The caulking showed little or no evidence of mildew, however the underlying grout has mildew. What do I do, merely disinfect the grout and allow to dry and then re-caulk or do I have a...

Caulk vs. Grout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a newbie here and need to know something -- Are CAULK and GROUT the same thing?? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!

Brown stains in grout [ 5 Answers ]

Hello This is my first post to this site. I live in a 2 year old high rise (poured concrete) condo building. In one bath I have brown spots in the grout that disappear when I apply bleach but return in 3 days to a week in the same spots. I used a carbide grout scraper and removed as much of...

View more questions Search