Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vjsmiles17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Capital gains/renting out property

I currently own a townhouse in MD and have lived there for the last 14 months. I would like to keep the property to rent out for the next few years and rent a home closer to my job in the meantime. (I plan on moving out of state in the next 3 years or so, so I don't want to buy another property). Would I will have to pay capital gains tax when I sell the house in a few years? What information do you have (or where can I find it) about capital gains and renting out the property? THANK YOU! :D
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 09:57 AM
    If you rent the property out while you are TRYING TO SELL IT (in order to offset the expense of maintaining two households), you can normally avoid the capital gains requirement.

Based on what you told me, you are in fact converting your townhouse to a rental property. Once that is done, you become liable to pay capital gains taxes on any profit you show when you sell the property.

The IRS publishes a Rental Property Guide. You can download it from the IRS website at www.irs.gov.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital gains from investment property [ 3 Answers ]

According to the 1031 like-kind exchange you can't buy a property to make it your primary residence using the money from an investment property (rental home?) and then avoid to pay capital gains. Is this correct? Is it true that if I sell a house I had as an investment property, that I can buy...

Capital gains tax [ 1 Answers ]

In Sept 1999 I sold a piece of property. I did a 1031 exchange for a new piece of property that cost 299000.00. My basis in that exchange was 29000.00. In April 2006 I sold that piece of property. After closing costs and realtor costs the net profit was $512,000.00. Improvement costs,...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Do I pay Capital gains on property sold in Italy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen and US resident, but I own real estate in Italy. I wish to sell it, and in Italy there are no capital gains taxes on real estate. My question is, must I pay capital gains on this property here in the States? Thanks! Sal

View more questions Search