Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiddrusty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 08:45 AM
    1099 misc on a hiring bonus
    My husband took a position that gave him a hiring bonus. No taxes were taken out, then we received a 1099 on top of a W2 form for taxes. Is this just "untaxed" income when we file taxes. When do the 1099 forms need to be sent from employer/we are still missing one from another job and its 02/13/09.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
    If the income is listed in Box 3 of the Form 1099, you can get away with filing it on Line #21 of Form 1040.

Otherwise, the income has to be reported on Schedule SE with Schedule SE calculations to pay self-employment taxes.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:34 PM

It seems likely that the amount shown on the 1099 should have been included in the W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign on bonus and 1099-Misc [ 7 Answers ]

I am a physician finishing training and starting a job in a few months. I will be employeed by a private practice, but have a contract with the local hospital for 3 month income guarantee, relocation expenses and sign-on bonus. The sign on bonus was paid 12/05. I received a 1099-MISC for the...

Signing bonus reported on 1099-misc? [ 2 Answers ]

I got a signing bonus for taking a job. The bonus was paid by someone other than the corp that hired me. They called it a loan and promise to forgive the debt as long as I stay in the job for so many years. I got a 1099-misc for some of the money this year and I'm not sure where to put it in my...

Sign-On Bonus/ 1099- Scholarship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I need to know what you guys advise me doing? (perhaps seeking legal advice) But, I took a job as a pharmacist at a local hospital. I actually took the job before I finished my grad schooling/rotations. They had offered me a 20k sign on bonus, however it was never referred to as a...

Moving Bonus and 1099 Form? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I changed jobs this year and my new company gave me a moving bonus before I started working. Instead of being included in my wages on my W-2, its on a 1099- MISC form, and I don't know what to do with it! When filing on Tax Cut online, it says this form is for rentals and royalties, or for...

J1 and 1099-misc [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Here is my situation 1) I've been on J1 since 1999 2) I've been filing 1040 for 3-4 years now since I think I am now an alien resident for tax purpose 3) I always worked in school and got W2 and no problem with tax 4) Last year, I mistakenly worked for a website as an independent...

View more questions Search