Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trpanj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Rain pipe leak
    The rainwater drains from the roof of our house through the PVC pipe which is in the wall to the water tank below the house level and then we use that rainwater for our garden. That pipe is close to 40 years old and it seems like it has cracked or developed some other kind of leak because the wall is getting wet every time it rains.
    Is there a way to seal the leaks in the PVC pipe from the inside, i.e. some kind of liquid which could be poured and allowed it to fill the pipe (closing the pipe at the bottom end) and then after the "magic" happens to be drained from the pipe leaving all the cracks fixed? Or any other solution other than tearing down the wall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Sorry! No magic fix here! What I would do, if I didn't want t0 replace the pipe, is seal it off at the bottom, fill it wirh water and mark the cracks it's leaking from. Drain the water and let the pipe completely dry out. Now purchase a small can of clear primer and a small can of PVC cement. Making sure the cracks are dry prime and then pour PVC cement in the cracks. Let it set up for a hour or so and do it it again for insurance. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    trpanj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion but you're forgetting that the pipe is IN the wall. In order to see the leaks I have to dig through the wall and since I don't know where they exactly are I would have to tear the entire wall down. Thanks anyway.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2009, 08:34 AM
    I didn't forget. You didn't think you could repair the leaks without first locating them did you? Open up the wall where you see moisture and follow the directions I gave you. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 08:57 AM

Or you can plug the pipe on the roof-level and by-pass it with new pipe mounted on the exterior wall. Otherwise, you will have to cut open your walls.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yep no magic fix here. You have been given two fixes which both work. The other fix would be to abandon the system and cap it, drain your gutters down a down spout like 99% of the other homes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mystery water in basement, no rain.from neighbors or house sewer leak? [ 1 Answers ]

Townhouse ~100yo in the city with house plumbing/sewer line 50-100yo. Previous owner remodeled house 30 years ago but do not think that the plumbing has been updated. DESCRIPTION: ~1in water puddling 3ft by 3 ft in different corners(diagonal to each other) of basement(on each side of townhouse)....

PVC Pipe Leak [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed a small leak in my basement whenever my second floor toilet is flushed. The toilet is positioned near the outside wall of my house. A plumber indicated that the cause of the problem is most likely one or more holes in the PVC pipe which were caused by nail holes when our contractor...

Pipe leak under slab [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO. I really need help here. I saw water standing at the corner of our house. Water is coming from under the slab. Turned off all water valves in house... meter still running. Thanks .kudeetz

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

View more questions Search