Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuki Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 02:59 AM
    How to deal with dad who is dying of liver failure
    My dad is 62, in end stages of liver failure, from cirhossis, just admitted him to hospice on Monday, this is so hard, I am exhausted its just my sister and I doing it all, we already lost our mom 10 years ago to breast cancer. I wanted to ask if there is anyone out there who has gone through this or going through it to ask questions, like what's next, how long?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 04:31 AM

I am sorry you are in this position. There is no need to say 'I know how hard this must be'. You are going through enough right now, Tuki.

Get rest for your ordeal throughout the next few weeks.

The liver is the largest gland in the body and it's functions include bile secretion, initial absorption of nutrients, detoxification and metabolism of fat carbohydrates and protein. Enough said, so you realize what you are asking is entirely unpredictable, entirely irreversible at this stage.

I can't give you what you need in answering your question 'how long'. It will be a waiting game. Just love him, care for him, see him as much as possible now.

Ms tickle with respect
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Rely on your father's hospice team. If the hospice you have chosen is up to snuff, you have made the best possible choice for your father's care. You as a his child are included in their plan of care. If they have not contacted you directly about the services they can offer you give them a call. There are counselors, chaplains, social workers and volunteers available to help you and your father with all of the issues you all are facing. Most hospices offer support groups for families to help work through their issues. You are not alone and all of your feelings are valid! Do not hesitate to give them a call. They are there to help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to expect with end stage liver failure, time line? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to all this and read a bit of the forum and came across a thread by Jason re his dad who died from liver failure, cirhossis, wanted to ask a few questions to him or anyone else who went through or going through this. My dad is 62, in final stages of liver failure, just admitted him...

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the similarities between a pig liver and a human liver?

My father is Dying and I don't know how I would deal with it. [ 6 Answers ]

I found out about 2 mounths ago that my father is dying and I don't know how I could deal with loseing my dad. I found out that he has known for 5 years that he was sick. He never told any body and I don't know how to deal with it. My mother and father has been separated since I was 3 and I call...

Dying 9 month old Dacshund - Liver Damage [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. I have a 9 month old Dacshund cross (we think) who has for the last 6 weeks been extremely ill. After a castration he became very sick and developed an infection which was quickly picked up on and treated. Unfortunately a few days later he showed signs of jaundice and blood tests...

View more questions Search