Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Feb 10, 2009, 09:18 AM
    A Word I Know But Can't Remember!
    Hi, I'm trying to remember a word that's on the tip of my tongue, and I hope I can describe it sufficiently to get an answer.

It's a word meaning to give something a semblance of reality. Writers will research a topic and put enough of their research into a novel to get this effect. Argh, what's that word? A touch of... something. I can't remember. It's akin to reality, but not quite.
    jeepgrl015 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Okay now Im frustrated! Lol. Its on the tip of my tongue as well... try using the thesauraus? That's what Im going to do and Ill get back to you if I find what I THINK you are looking for!
    iikiwa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Donnee-the main premise or complex of events and forces used as the basis for the development of the plot in a novel, play, etc.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Realism?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 09:35 AM

Authenticity?
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Feb 10, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Those are all good, but the one I was looking for was verisimilitude! Thanks so much for your help. I managed to find it shortly after posting the question!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 03:15 PM

Nice! Don't you hate it when that happens, and love it when you finally get the word you were looking for!

Also verisimilar: meaning to have the appearance of truth :)

Veracity is a nice word too: habitual observance of truth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I remember this old black and white movie but can't remember its title [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching this old black and white movie as a child (over 40 years ago). Every time the father would get angry, he kicks out the families TV set.. His family would all cry and his wife would make him sleep on the sofa downstairs. I remember this happening several times in the movie.....

Add a word and its meaning to ms word dictionary [ 2 Answers ]

Add a word and its meaning to ms word dictionary

Lotus word to Microsoft word [ 2 Answers ]

My articles are saved in lotus word format. Can I opened it under Microsoft word or " open office" software? If yes, how do I go about it?

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search