Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marci christen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Having trouble with my step children and their mother
    My step children came to live with me from another state six months ago. Their mother has no where to live, is not stable, does not want them back, but is guilting them, bribing them, and really confusing them with every phone call she makes. The nine year old is so confused and is acting out, and just got a three day suspension from school today. The 14 year old is just plain lazy and is addicted to video games so bad he can't function. I have taken the video games away to try to get him social, but he refuses to do anything. Neither of the boys want to move back in with their mother, but she won't give us custody of them either. She lives in Louisiana, I live in Mississippi. I have stayed on the phone all day trying to get help for these children but because of the custody status and the fact that the two state laws for this sort of thing is so different, no one can help. I just want the children evaluated so I will be prepared in court when we do go for full custody. She sent them a cell phone so she could talk to them with out having to use my house phone so I nor their father can hear or monitor the conversations. I do not want to send these children back to their mother but it is really disrupting my household. I have two girls too and I feel like they are getting the short end of this stick because I have to spend so much time with the boys. I truly don'tknow what I can or can not do.

Please help

Marci
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 01:15 AM

I thought it was interesting you never once mentioned your husband in all of this.

I had three step children who I thought I could help put their lives on a better track; foolish me. Their behavior was too ingrained to change.

My advice is be very careful you don't sacrifice your daughters for these step children.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 11:44 AM

This is a really bad idea. You have two girls who are in danger of sexual abuse by these troubled boys.

Send the kids back, is my opinion.

Best wishes, :)
    ladylavender1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2009, 11:49 AM

I would recommend family therapy as a start, and individual therapy for the Boys. Your whole family is affected by this. I would also find a good lawyer wh can tell you your options and help develop a plan of action.
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Mar 26, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Comment on Choux's post
    What does that have to do with anything they are having troubles does that automatically make them sexual predators I think not my mother treated me like crap and I didn't go out and rape anyone
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

What does the father say and do about their behavior? Everyone need to sit down and set rules and consequences if the rules aren't follow in a civil matter.

Also, set time for family meeting where everyone can talk about their feelings openly. But the father must take part in this too. The two of you have to work together as a team to enforce things.

Who knows what the mother is telling them or their feelings towards the move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting Step-Children [ 1 Answers ]

I have two step-daughters who I have raised since they were 5 and 2. They are both British nationals and have their green cards to live in the US. Their natural father has no parental rights in England, my wife and him were never married. He pays no child support. How would I go about adopting...

Children want to be with mother and mother agrees. [ 15 Answers ]

Hello,I live in Jacksonville,Florida and I have been here since 11/05.I used to live in NYC and at one point I was having a very hard time with my living situation so I gave my ex-husband custody of our 2 beautiful sons(hesitantly) but I knew they would be in a better environment at that time in...

Adopting step children [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about adopting my step children without having the expense of an attorney? Their mother has requested me to adopt them and wants to give up all her parental rights.

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search