Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHAHRAZAD Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Aug 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Vein so appearent
    Hi, why veins become so visible especially on the hands when I work out a lot and now they are kind of just there all the time I think my hands look old and manly which I do not like I want them to be soft feminine , how to reverse this and is there any cosmetic surgery to help with that like taking fat from somewhere and put it in the back of the hands?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Oh please. It was your choice to work out and that is what happens when you work out and now you want surgery. Leave it alone or your just going to do more damage to yourself. Part of aging, part of growing, part of working out will have effects on your body, but it is normal.

Joe
    -

Aug 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
    Hi joe my q. was if I stopped working out will the vein disappear and if there is such a cosmotic procedure and it was not if I should accept it or not obviously I do not like it I just needed help with my specific questions and then I will accept this as it is if there is no options, thanks for your reply
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2006, 06:23 PM
    Sorry if I misunderstood you. It all depends on how long have you been working out. If you stop working out. Then eventually your viens would get smaller. I would think. That is when you noticed your viens increasing in size and I would say that is the reason for the increase. Stop working out so much of that one area of your body and in time your viens will decrease in size. The only reason why they increase when your working out is because that part of the body your working has blood flow increase and to support the body while working it out more oxygen, more blood is needed to feed the muscles and that is where you get the increase.

Hope this helps better.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 12, 2006, 06:34 PM
    You must also remember that in the heat your veins dilate. So after a good workout and it is hot you will notice thick veins on your hands. This can go away with the weather and will not be as noticeable in the winter.

There is NO surgery to correct this.
    -

Aug 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Thank u guys for your replies
    Expert

Aug 12, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Anytime Shahrazad, that is why we are here.

Just remember, heat makes certain portions of your body expand. This may go away with cooler weather, but there is no surgery.
    -

Aug 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Hello j 9, what about fat transfer from somewhere to the back of the hand would that help because when you you are skinny your veins show too so I thought have a little fat would hide the veins
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 07:13 AM
    No there is NO surgery for this, not fat transfer, nothing. Just wait till weather is cooler and you will see a change.
    -

Aug 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Thank u j 9
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
    You are very welcome.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Aug 13, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Vascular vein is determined on body fat. If you have less body fat, the veins will be visible. I agree with Joe, try not to work out too much. Veins tend to become more prominent as we get older as well. Genetic factors can also play a significant role in the development of veins. The condition is rarely dangerous, but many feel conscious of them due to their unsightly appearance.

Veins can be removed but often require a surgical procedure. Laser therapy may remove smaller varicosities while more severe cases can be treated with injections or the veins can be 'stripped out' with surgery. Alternatively, method using a cream rich in vitamin K can produce good results. The cream builds healthier, thicker skin layers so the appearance of varicose veins is slightly reduced.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 05:56 PM
    But isn't vein removal considered to be rather dangerous due to lack of blood supply to area where veins are removed?

As I read this post I am thinking of a teen, I am also looking at my hands that have rather large veins themselves. If a person gets a condition later in life such as PVD, limited blood supply to the area could cause damage.

I am still learning, so I look forward to your answers PrettyLady. Thanks
    -

Aug 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Thank you prettylady, oh there is something can be done, good. Do you recommend a good brand for vitamin k. what the name of this surgery and can you estimate the cost. I've seen something on TV before about this fat transfer but I did see it from the beginning so I am not sure what that was about. Thank you all for your answers j 9, jesushelper76 and prettylady you all are great
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Your welcome, Shahrazad. Anytime you need help you know where to come. (;

Please try the natural remedies (Vitamin K) first before doing anything drastic. I am happy that you are keeping all your options open.

Joe
    -

Aug 13, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    But isn't vein removal considered to be rather dangerous due to lack of blood supply to area where veins are removed?

As I read this post I am thinking of a teen, I am also looking at my hands that have rather large veins themselves. If a person gets a condition later in life such as PVD, limited blood supply to the area could cause damage.

I am still learning, so I look forward to your answers PrettyLady. Thanks
    The doctor will do physical examination, then take x-rays or ultrasound pictures of the vein to assess the cause and severity of the problem. Then the doctor will decide which type surgical procedure is best to treat the condition.

Some side effects may only occur at the site of the injection, such as stinging or painful cramps; red raised patches of skin, small skin ulcers, and bruises. These usually disappear. The treated vein could become inflamed or develop lumps of coagulated or congested blood. These are not dangerous. Applying heat and taking aspirin or antibiotics can relieve inflammation.
    -

Aug 13, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHRAZAD
    thank u prettylady, oh there is something can be done, good. do u recommend a good brand for vitamin k. what the name of this surgery and can u estimate the cost. i've seen something on tv before about this fat transfer but i did see it from the begining so i am not sure what that was about. thank u all for your answers j 9, jesushelper76 and prettylady u all r great

Here are 3 surgical procedures to treat unwanted veins.

Ligation and stripping: Incisions are made over the varicose veins, and the vein is tied off (ligated) and removed (stripped).

Sclerotherapy: A chemical (sclerosant) is injected into a varicose vein to damage and scar the inside lining of the vein, causing the vein to close. This usually works best for small veins.

Laser treatment: Laser energy is used to scar and destroy varicose veins. This is called ablation. Endovenous laser therapy uses a laser fiber inserted into the vein. Laser ablation inside the vein makes the vein close up.

If you are thinking about having surgery or a vein treatment, you may want to talk to your doctor about the choices. Prices vary for each patient depending on the type of laser procedure area of the body to be treated, and the number of treatments needed.

As for the alternative method I've mentioned. There's a cream called Vita-K, and it's sold in pharmacies or drug stores. Look for the one that's designed for treating veins.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Well, these treatments are used for varicose veins, I am not sure this is the problem with this person.

The way I read the post is that the veins look thick and have almost a muscular look to them. If this is the case would you still be able to have these surgeries?
    -

Aug 14, 2006, 08:16 AM
    I also read the member's post and she wanted to know how to get rid of the visible veins on her hands. "She has lost fat tissue in her hands as well as skin elasticity, making the veins more prominent and distinguishable." There are safe effective procedures to eliminate prominent hand veins.

Yes, those surgical procedures can be used to eliminate prominent veins from the hands and other parts of the body. The sclerotherapy procedure can achieve optimal results in removing unwanted veins. There's also a procedure called Laser ablation. This procedure is safe as well. It makes the veins diminish, leaving smooth hands. I've given this member all the options, including an alternative Vitamin K option. I would like her to try the Vitamin K option first. The Vitamin K may help thicken skin's layers and reduce the appearance of veins. I hope I've answered all your questions, J 9.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2006, 08:55 AM
    You have answered them, thank you.

I was asking because when I look at my hands it sounds as though she was describing mine. I did not know that there could be something that could be done for this. I just did not want to be a "thread thief."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search