Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geekyguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Itemized Deductions
    I followed few threads here on Parents visiting from India and whether they were eligible for applying ITIN as dependents. The ATLANTA user has provided excellent explanations regarding the same and based on that probably I want to re-iterate/re-confirm few things:

1. If the parents (who are retired back in India) stayed with us for about 5 months (150 days) can they be considered as dependents?
    Even if that doesn't fall under the 183 day cap, we had the in-laws visit for another 30 days in 2008 Which makes it to 180 but falling short of 3 days.
    2. Can their expenses be included in the itemized deductions (eg. We paid around 6K for both their airfares from/to India)?
    3. Also we brought insurance for about 2K for them as well.
    4. We had to take them to ER once and I took a tab of about 500$ and can that be deducted?
    5. They purchased computers and other electronic items as part of gifts. Can these all be considered as itemized deductions which we paid from our after-tax money.
    6. I pay for my own medical insurance of about 1K a month and should that be included in the itemized deductions or can I show that in a different section? I hope that's deductible.
    7. Also we have 2 cars and spent about 3K in maintenance during 2008. Can that be deducted as well?
    8. Does paying INS fee for visa/immigration document renewals (we paid another 2K for the attorney & the INS last year) qualify for tax deductions?
    9. Buying books, educational materials, software's, 900$ laptop can these all be deducted as educational expenses?
    10. Valentine's day gifts to wife (Jewelery etc) can that be deducted as well? -- I think in the movie Shawshank Redumption Tim says a one time gift is allowed. :)
    11. Paying copay, out of pocket expenses for doctor visits, prescription medications be deducted?
    12. We had a baby in 2008 but the hospital didn't send us a bill in 2008 and we got a bill for 1600 (after insurance payment) this January, which I paid. Can this be included in 2008 return as deduction?

I know I've asked too many questions on deductions, I'd greatly appreciate your reply.

Thanks & Regards!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
    1) To be claimed as dependents, your parents have to meet the dependency criteria, i.e. you must provide more than HALF of their total support. Further, they have to meet the Substantial Presence Test. If the SPT spreads over two years, the days in the first year is CUT by two-thirds. In other words, the 150 days in 2007 is cut to 50 days for SPT purposes if carried over to 2008.

2 -5) Negative.

6) Medical insurance premiums IS a valid itemized medical deduction IF you are a RESIDENT alien. Of course, all of your medical costs must exceed 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) before they begin to be deductible.

7-8) Negative.

9) These items MAY be deductible as employee business expenses, which is an itemized deduction, but that is subject to a 2% AGI floor as well.

10) Negative.

11) These are valid medical deductions, but they have to beat the 7.5% AGI floor.

12) Yes, because you INCURRED the expense in 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Can college application fees be deducted on federal income taxes?

Maximizing itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my question. During the last semester at school, I got into CPT(F1 visa) from(june- dec 2006),working 40 hrs a week and enrolled in one course to finish my master's at my school. Can I claim the tution on the itemized deductions on 1040NR? I also had to relocate to 150 miles away...

Itemized tax deductions in OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My status for 2005 was: Jan 2005 - Sep 2005 = OPT (F-1 status) Oct 2005 - Dec 2005 = H1B Now my question is: 1) Is there any itemized deductions I can put for my OPT period? Like - books, donations(made in India), travel, rent, food, etc. And if "NOT" then is there any other...

Dependents itemized deductions [ 3 Answers ]

I did not make enough to pay my mortgage and Texas including other bill. All were paid by my brother living with me. Can he itemize my deductions in his return if I am claimed as a dependent on his tax return?

Itemized deductions on J-1 visa [ 11 Answers ]

I participated as a student exchange visitor in Work&Travel Program. I was on a J-1 visa during 2004. I am not a student working on a degree. My taxable income consist only W-2 forms. All of the income which I had generated is from personal services? Can I deduct travel expences "away from...

View more questions Search