Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knkmr4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Violation of HIPAA?
    My ex-spouse has a physical custody of my daughter. We both have legal custody.
    My daughter is under my health care plan. Recently, my ex-spouse submitted a claim payment for our daughter. For the claim, insurance company sent a check to me. In the past, I would write a check to my ex-spouse. For this claim, insurance company cancelled the check, causing the deposit to be returned and I incurred fee on this. I believe my ex-spouse contact Aetna directly and Aetna didn't inform me of change. My ex-spouse possibly used my name. Does this violate HIPAA? I certain don't appreciate her contacting my insurance company, and they release informatio regarding claims information. Thank you for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 08:24 PM

No,

1. if he does have joint legal custody, he is contacting his child's insurance company about his child's medical insurance claims. He would have or should have full legal rights to do so.

2. even if you have not allowed him this access to his child's insurance information, and he did a fraud to them, they would have had the identifing info to prove the info.

So he may have did a fraud but then as a legal custody, he should have the right
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 6, 2009, 01:55 PM

HIPAA does not apply here.

Contact your insurance company to inquire and request that your ex-spouse is not issued any bills on your daughters behalf. Verify with them that the insurance is under your name only - the bills should never be sent to anyone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a print out of all my precriptions from my husbands live in girl friend. I am separated from my husband for almost 2 years and going through divorce. I did have insurance through his work however I have a note on my file at walgreens to not give info to any one but me.. this...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is out of work due to bilateral fractured ankles he received in a car wreck. He received a call from a co-worker asking when he was coming back to work as he was working on the schedule. My husband told him he would be back when he was cleared by him Dr.. The co-worker told him their...

Hipaa violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if this is the right topic for the question or not, but here goes. I work in a hospital, and I was wondering if when talking to a co-worker outside of work Is it a hipaa violation to tell how many patients are on the floor, if that is all the info That you reveal?...

View more questions Search