Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninjip Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Tax filing married Non resident alien spouce never been to US
    Hi,

I am F1 (non resident alien). Filing tax for year 2008. My spouce has never been to US. She is also student there not earning or not filing tax in my country. She will be arriving november 2009.

I called up IRS, they suggested to file as 'Married filing seperately".

Please suggest for following questions,
    1) What status i should be really filining in, Married filling seperately or Married filling jointly?

2) She doesnt have SSN, which i would need in any case while filing as married.
    Getting ITIN, using W7, also very cumbersome in my case, She is not present in US.
    What is suggested for this condition?

3) Should I file my taxes next year to gether for year 2008 and 2009?

4) Will filling this year as a married person will be helpful for her getting dependent visa at the year end?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 10:28 AM

On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes.

You can not file joint return. You will file as other married nonresident alien.

If you file W7 (ITIN application) it will be rejected.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    ninjip Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes.

You can not file joint return. You will file as other married nonresident alien.

If you file W7 (ITIN application) it will be rejected.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    I didn't get the perfect answer, Thanks a lot for your efforts.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
    It would help if you mentioned your country of origin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alein or non resident alien and filing status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've couple of questions to you experts. I've worked in US on L1-B Visa for the entire year of 2006 and 2007 and stayed up to march 26th 2008. I was here again on 14th Dec 2008 on L1B again for work and likely to stay here until July 2009. Q1) Filing taxes for the year 2008, Am I a...

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1? [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a...

View more questions Search