Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Finding isomers
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if someone could explain isomers to me, and how to find them. I have a test coming up and have no idea :eek:
    Like I have a problem in my book that says find the alkene isomers with the molecular formula of C5H10... where do I even start with this??

I understand what an alkene is (a carbon carbon double bond with 2 r groups on each), but I don't understand the isomer stuff.

I think 2-pentene is one of them but I have no idea how to check.

Any help would be awesome!
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 4, 2009, 05:32 PM

Isomers are compounds with the same chemical formula, in your case C5H10, but different arrangements of atoms.

CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 (1-pentene)
    CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 (2-pentene)

You can also have branches on the sides of a shorter chain.

Don't get confused. CH3-CH2-CH2-CH=CH2 is still 1-pentene.

etc.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 07:19 PM

So 1-pentene is an alkene? Are these the only two ways it can be organized or are there more?

Thanks so much for your help!
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 4, 2009, 07:29 PM
    There is one more way that I can think of off the bat.

The word "alkene" or "ene" means simply that there is a double-bond in the structure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding my dad [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Jason Tackett but in 1968 I was know as Jason Davis and my father name is Jamie Lee Davis. Iam trying to find him if any can help me find my dad I would so happy.

Finding our Son [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to find our son Jerry Brethauer. We haven't heard from him in 5 years and don't understand why. The last we knew he was living and working in Las Vegas. Can someone help me, I have tired the internet also paid money to one of the companies on line and they didn't give me the...

I need to finding a job. [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 years of job experience and I am looking for a job that offers good $. I am a high school student so I don't have any diploma yet. I need to know if somebody knows a place where I can find a job, or a specific store or anything like that. If you don't know then its fine just at least...

Finding the value of n [ 3 Answers ]

how ? 312 x n = 24336 I need the method to know how to find the value

View more questions Search