Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hayden334 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Water supply line leak
    I have a pvc water supply line attached to another plastic line via a male/ female threaded adapter. There is a tiny leak from the connection, most likely because I failed to use enough teflon tape. How can I stop this leak without taking everything apart, as I have glued all the other joints together with pvc adhesive? Would it be possible to use a small amount of glue on that connection as well, or will it destroy the teflon tape underneath. Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Hayden... any chance of posting a picture of this? Let me know.

Sounds like you have a compression fit. If this is a compression fit then you do not want to use teflon tape or pipe dope for the connections.

Remove the teflon tape. Try to re-install the plastic line... hand-tight plus one full-turn and then turn the water back on. If that fails, purchase a new toilet supply and then WITHOUT TEFLON install the connector hand-tight plus one full-turn and then turn water on... see if that does it. If that fails tighten a 1/2 turn at a time and keep testing. If that fails then the shutoff itself may be the issue and will need to be replaced.

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 11:47 PM

PVC is easy to fix. Cut the pipe, remove leaking fittings, replace with new ones, glue back together. You will be done in few minutes. Also, see if you can avoid the Male/Female threaded connection and replace it with piece of pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak at water supply line behind toilet [ 3 Answers ]

How can I fix water leaking from the area where you actually turn off the water supply behind the toilet?

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Water Heater Supply Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 40 gallon Water heater that is approximately 11 years old. The supply lines have started to pool water in the recessions and then trickle down the tank. This just started. Before I used to hear the tank bubble when I would turn on the washing-machine. What do you suggest I do? I...

Replacing water supply line [ 1 Answers ]

I have to replace my toilet tank<41 years old) The existing water supply line is metal. Can I purchase a line at my local home center for replacement purposes,(Flexible line). If yes, how do I change lines?? I am also replacing the water fill line, and toilet flapper. Does it matter in what...

Vanity water supply valves leak [ 2 Answers ]

In replacing the hot and cold water supply valves under the sink I have a slow leak. The end of the copper pipe has a ridge on it with a nut receptacle behind it where I am screwing the new valve into. I have used tape and grease with no luck. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search